Any Convertible Owners?

BulldogSr04
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ok, heres the deal. I have a convertible and everything in my sig and I wan't to know if there are any tricks to making the bass louder in a convertible. The top moves when the bass hits so I know I am losing a LOT of bass. I know I won't be able to compete or anything due to this. I also have a lot of cancellation. Probably because my box is firing up. I have gone through numerous box designs and I cant seem to get the right box down. This one looks very nice, but doesn't get as loud as I want it. Has anybody had a system with a lot of bass in a convertible?

Yep --- 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2002 15" XXX currently resides in a ported box firing towards the rear of the vehicle with about 1600-1700 watts to it.

Plenty of bass for me, anyways.

My first suggestion would have been to sound deaden, but you already have. And it's not like you don't have the equipment to make it loud.

Which box designs have you tried so far ?

- Steve

I have tried rear firing and up firing. There isnt much space in my trunk, I had to make a big custom box for it to fire up and clear the magnet for the XXX. barely fits too. I may make a rear firing box and make it better than my last one, that one was a piece... What numbers are you hitting? The ragtop's flex seems like it would reduce the db's...

I have tried rear firing and up firing. There isnt much space in my trunk, I had to make a big custom box for it to fire up and clear the magnet for the XXX. barely fits too. I may make a rear firing box and make it better than my last one, that one was a piece... What numbers are you hitting? The ragtop's flex seems like it would reduce the db's...
You're right, there isn't much room in the 4th gens.

Numbers aren't too impressive, low-mid 130's. It's not set up for an SPL vehicle at all ... mainly just daily driving sound quality. If I wanted more SPL, I'd most likely add more power and make a larger box ... and on top of that, choose a different vehicle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

- Steve

The best solution to bass in a convertable I've seen was in a porsche boxstar. A 12" was mounted behind each head rest with a plexi cover but that is kind of impractical for most people.

IMO the best way to install subs in a convertable (generally) is to mount the box with the subs facing down, just off the floor. This loads the subs and helps to 'contain' the sound inside the vehicle more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.