New Audio Setup for RestoMod 69Camaro Convertible

Participant count
  • Participant list

TRudz516

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
looking for some suggestions on components and speaker locations for a new audio setup in a RestoMod 69 Camaro Convertible. I Started with purchasing an Alpine CDE-175BT and also a Kicker 12” down firing trunk subwoofer (500W RMS 2 ohms). Looking now at a RetroSound R-410N-SB02 for center dash speaker opening and a pair of Hertz SV 165 NEO for the rear section of the doors and a pair of JL Audio C1-400x Either in the front section of the doors or down in the kick panels. Also looking at an Audio Control D-6.1200 amp or a JL Audio VX800/8i amp. Any thoughts

109D87EA-7DA0-4F4C-975E-C216B7D41130.jpeg
C642C45F-1AC8-431F-9379-247E19BEA1D7.jpeg
2FAC1DFF-C6E0-4BFE-93DA-91503ABC1F63.jpeg
D7D107CB-5F91-4F1D-A7AE-5AF3E04C6678.jpeg

Last edited:
I would do Pods on the doors. Id look at doing a 3 way set up that will handle approx 100-150 rms on a 100-200 rms amplifier, and may look at adding the tweets on the dash,and By-pass the center speaker. I would look at doing a ported enclosure for a single 750-1500 RMS 10 or 12 on approx 1500-2k mono amp tuned to approx 30-34 htz in the trunk space should do half way decent for a convertible . Others will Chime in for recmmendations

What is that going on in the First Pick?? Are you going to be doing any kind of Deadening or Road Noise preparations at all of Floor deadening at all and doors? A 6.5" mid -bass, and a 3-5.25" Midrange in a Door pod just below the window Crank looks Ideal and a 1" Tweet in a Pod or Angle mount can be Velcroed on the dash with Extreme Velcro so you do not have to make any screw hole penetrations on the dash and it hold up to 75LBS,as wires can be tucked . Be a nice 3 way setup

$3,000. Not sure yet interior door panels. Base shown in pics but may go for deluxe layout.

View attachment 45379

View attachment 45378
What is that going on in the First Pick?? Are you going to be doing any kind of Deadening or Road Noise preparations at all of Floor deadening at all and doors? A 6.5" mid -bass, and a 3-5.25" Midrange in a Door pod just below the window Crank looks Ideal and a 1" Tweet in a Pod or Angle mount can be Velcroed on the dash with Extreme Velcro so you do not have to make any screw hole penetrations on the dash and it hold up to 75LBS,as wires can be tucked . Be a nice 3 way setup
First pic I’m trying different speaker enclosures. Power door locks and window lifts prevent recessing large speakers into the doors. I’ve ordered other enclosures that are not so weirdly shaped. Lol Any suggested pods for the door? I’d like to see some tweeter pods or angle mounts too. I’m trying not to make too many holes in dash or A pillars.

Definitely doing sound deadening and road noise. Still finishing wiring before I lay down final material. Inside doors, quarters, entire trunk, firewall are all covered in Dynamat material. Inner doors will be skinned and vapor barrier too. Floors will have deadening and road noise matting.

Any speaker recommendations? maybe JL Audio C7?

I’m trying not to make too many holes in dash or A pillars.
Indeed. I can't imagine the speaker holes in the door now are going to do much for you unless I'm misreading where the seats are going to be. Best option would be to build some custom kickpanels. Kicks are a great location for good imaging and it's a small piece to fab custom that you can remove and reinstall stock panel down the road if needed.

JL is a bit spendy but a good product. The downside in an 8 channel amp is that you won't have a lot of power for a subwoofer. Normally I'd say you could do something sane with only the couple hundred watts you'll have here but out of a convertible you may need to brute force a bit to get decent low frequency. Alternately they may still sell the Aura Bass Shaker on partsexpress or elsewhere. Those secured under your seats give the illusion of powerful bass which works very well in a convertible when paired with a modest subwoofer in the trunk.

Haven't seen many reviews of those head units made especially for classic cars. If you try one please report back here with some reviews because we have a few people a year pop by asking about what is good for this type of project.

Speaker holes are from an old installation. New door cards will be ordered. Kick panels are tough bc not a lot of volume behind panels and footwells are tight. Small piece of fab custom is not really in my skill level. I’ve ordered a few different ABS enclosures and will see how they fit.

Good point about 8CH amp but the low profile Kicker TRTP12 sub I’ve purchased is already powered with a 250-500W RMS Amp. That may not be enough after reading AudioBaun comments but I need to use the trunk and most other ported boxes are too big. 750-1500 RMS will require a bigger box. That can be an upgrade later on. I did just order a pair of Aura Bass Shakers! I’ll be sure to add those too. I assume they connect with a simple Y-split. Maybe I go with a 6CH amp with DSP and wait to add a sub amp later if needed.

I’ll be sure to add a head unit review later. The radio dash opening was already bastardized for a single din head so thats why I didn’t choose a retro head.

Any other brand component speakers you recommend?

Small piece of fab custom is not really in my skill level.
Well, it would be a bit of fuckery but you can always make a mold from your originals and fill that to form the shape. Use plenty of mold release, carnuba wax, etc. Easier than fabbing up new door panels at least and again, a great location to get good imaging.

CDT usually has 40-50% off deals and anything you can find at that discount is a good value. They should also have shallow mount options if depth is an issue. Otherwise I'm quite fond of JBL/Infinity if you're just looking to buy mainstream brands at Crutchfield or a brick and mortar.

CDT usually has 40-50% off deals and anything you can find at that discount is a good value. They should also have shallow mount options if depth is an issue. Otherwise I'm quite fond of JBL/Infinity if you're just looking to buy mainstream brands at Crutchfield or a brick and mortar.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I’ll take a look at CDT. Shallow mount options might be very helpful.

Might take a look at CT Sounds site for speakers/components and mids ect.. Polk Audio MM series are a nice set as well. Infinity Kappa series. I like all my CDT speakers HD series Brax. and HD with Upstage sets not too fond of the CL series Ive had. Sky High Audio have some really nice 3ways and components also. Ground Zero may have something you may like. GP Audio has some precut cards for Door pods, There are several 6.5 and 1" Door pods that can be bought on Ebay even if you dont make your own, There are so many options that can be done from buying Raw speakers to run active or even looking to piece together your front stage with external Xovers even.Might look at Sonic Electronix at some of the NVX Carbon Fiber components,Image Dynamics to name acouple more. Madi sound at some Raw drivers also. Sound Solutions Audio(SSA).. Bugget Bangers on Sound Qubed site even and Dayton Audio on Parts Express.com also.(Dayton Audio generally carries a 5 yr warranty on just about all their gear) I have to say though.. CDT has always done well for me(I just didnt like the CL series that much compared to the other series I run euro Sport/HD/Brax).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...