Another "help me choose" thread

BTF

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oklahoma
Hi y'all! Looking for advice on some subs. I have a 2013 Elantra sedan, factory HU & cheapo LOC, and currently 2 10" Kicker Comp VR in sealed boxes (~1 cf each) run by a Soundstream PN1.650D (580W @ 2ohm). These were hand-me-downs, and I don't care for the SQ at all. Considering going to 12s, either a pair of Image Dynamics ID12 or DC Audio Level 1, using the same amp, in new box. I have 3 cf MAX space. Looking for better SQ mostly, but being in the trunk, need good volume too. Listen to all different kinds of music, but primarily rock and dubstep.

Also, I have a Power Acoustik EG1-4500D amp (~1500W @ 2ohm) that I could use, was thinking maybe Alpine Type-S or R, Dayton HF or RE SCX. Or I could sell what I have and step up to FI XV3, Sundown SA, DC Level 3 or SSA Icons?

Thanks in advance for your help!

In my opinion, you get better sq out of a sealed box. High power subs are not really designed for sq. They have stiffer spiders and surrounds to control the cone movement from over exertion. Sq subs are designed to move easier so you can hear subtleties in the music. I think you are seeking stronger bass output so the drops in dubstep can shake your seat and the kickdrum can be felt like a punch. You should stick with subs that have 700 watts rms and above. Good luck.

Hi y'all! Looking for advice on some subs. I have a 2013 Elantra sedan, factory HU & cheapo LOC, and currently 2 10" Kicker Comp VR in sealed boxes (~1 cf each) run by a Soundstream PN1.650D (580W @ 2ohm). These were hand-me-downs, and I don't care for the SQ at all. Considering going to 12s, either a pair of Image Dynamics ID12 or DC Audio Level 1, using the same amp, in new box. I have 3 cf MAX space. Looking for better SQ mostly, but being in the trunk, need good volume too. Listen to all different kinds of music, but primarily rock and dubstep.

Also, I have a Power Acoustik EG1-4500D amp (~1500W @ 2ohm) that I could use, was thinking maybe Alpine Type-S or R, Dayton HF or RE SCX. Or I could sell what I have and step up to FI XV3, Sundown SA, DC Level 3 or SSA Icons?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-signal is king, deal that poo poo loc and get a dsp or a new hu (doesn’t have to cost a lot)
-if you’re going to bigger woofers consider selling all those amps and getting a budget friendly Brazilian that will give you 1 ohm power and be more efficient on electrical your Elantra can put out
- you indicate you want Loud as it will be in trunk. With 3 cubic feet you can do more easily do 12’s sealed or 10’s ported (Target woofers that want 1.5cf ported). I mentioned 10’s ported because they could get You better output vs 12’s sealed
- your stock electrical can probably support 1500 watts if you chose full bridge technology. Hopefully you have Big 3, and big agm battery under the hood already.

In my opinion, you get better sq out of a sealed box. High power subs are not really designed for sq. They have stiffer spiders and surrounds to control the cone movement from over exertion. Sq subs are designed to move easier so you can hear subtleties in the music. I think you are seeking stronger bass output so the drops in dubstep can shake your seat and the kickdrum can be felt like a punch. You should stick with subs that have 700 watts rms and above. Good luck.
Yes, I know what I'm looking for is a bit of a unicorn lol. Deep and stable drops, hard kicks, and nimble enough to play bass guitar lines flawlessly!

-signal is king, deal that poo poo loc and get a dsp or a new hu (doesn’t have to cost a lot)
-if you’re going to bigger woofers consider selling all those amps and getting a budget friendly Brazilian that will give you 1 ohm power and be more efficient on electrical your Elantra can put out
- you indicate you want Loud as it will be in trunk. With 3 cubic feet you can do more easily do 12’s sealed or 10’s ported (Target woofers that want 1.5cf ported). I mentioned 10’s ported because they could get You better output vs 12’s sealed
- your stock electrical can probably support 1500 watts if you chose full bridge technology. Hopefully you have Big 3, and big agm battery under the hood already.
I do have the Big 3, standard battery right now. I've been looking at Taramps amps, maybe the DSP-1600, looks like a good value. Suggestions on the subs?

@ 14,4 VDC - 1 OHM: 1976W RMS. Dayummm that dsp1600 amp puts out. Box rise is a mofo so You might consider a md1800.1 or an md3000.1(keep your gains conservative) and then you can target 750 watt-1k watt subs. Probably still can with the dsp1600.

for a entry level 3” vc sub like the ones you mentioned, 3cf isn’t going to be optimal for two twlelves. For the value xfl 1044’s A strong buy at $150 or so each and right around 1.5 cubes each ported.

@ 14,4 VDC - 1 OHM: 1976W RMS. Dayummm that dsp1600 amp puts out. Box rise is a mofo so You might consider a md1800.1 or an md3000.1(keep your gains conservative) and then you can target 750 watt-1k watt subs. Probably still can with the dsp1600.

for a entry level 3” vc sub like the ones you mentioned, 3cf isn’t going to be optimal for two twlelves. For the value xfl 1044’s A strong buy at $150 or so each and right around 1.5 cubes each ported.
Thanks for the rec! I thought the XR was more suited to SQ?

I chose to save 20$ per sub and read that the output was better in the xfl’s. A properly designed ported enclosure and I’ll take the output all day. But you won’t lose with either. Might consider the md3000.1 amp instead of the dsp1600. Another 20$ savings. It all counts and then you can get that pioneer dsp, clean signal is everything. I bet a de-equalizing dsp would improve the sound of the gear you have now even

I wouldn’t do sealed in a trunk especially on lower power. You can get sq ported regardless of what others say you just won’t find a prefabricated enclosure that’s designed for sq.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.