Another case of whine, really need some help!

ecbmxer
10+ year member

I've done my install and I have a really bad case of engine whine. I am running a Pioneer DEH-P8MP HU and a DLS A5 amp powering a DLS MS6 component set up front and 2 JL 10W3V2 subs. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan king cab truck. I have the amp grounded on an existing ground point behind the rear seat. The power wire runs on the passenger side and the RCAs on the drivers. I have the HU grounded to this big metal structure in the dash, which goes right to the chassis. The whine goes away when I unplug my component set RCAs. THe one thing I am thinking is that I have the RCAs and power and ground wire kinda jumbled up directly below the amp so that I can have slack to pull it up and adjust things. Would this small amount of contact create noise? Also, the RCAs do cross the ground wire for 6-12" or so right next to the amp. Would this do anything? My next step is to try to separate these wires even more and see if I can improve the ground any. If that doesn't work, I'll try to reground the HU. If that doesn't work, should I run a wire between the HU ground point and the amp ground point? What else can I try? I know about the Pioneer HU stuff, but I really hope that a high end HU like this is free of noise. I really like the HU alot and don't want to get rid of it unless its a total last resort. Any help is really appriciated!

it could be the pioneer...my P8 had a REAL bad whine problem...pioneers are notorious for that...I think that new models have fixed the problem though...shorting on the ground from the RCAs can occur when you unplug them with the deck on...it *****...might not be able to fix this one without a new deck

I've done my install and I have a really bad case of engine whine. I am running a Pioneer DEH-P8MP HU and a DLS A5 amp powering a DLS MS6 component set up front and 2 JL 10W3V2 subs. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan king cab truck. I have the amp grounded on an existing ground point behind the rear seat. The power wire runs on the passenger side and the RCAs on the drivers. I have the HU grounded to this big metal structure in the dash, which goes right to the chassis. The whine goes away when I unplug my component set RCAs. THe one thing I am thinking is that I have the RCAs and power and ground wire kinda jumbled up directly below the amp so that I can have slack to pull it up and adjust things. Would this small amount of contact create noise? Also, the RCAs do cross the ground wire for 6-12" or so right next to the amp. Would this do anything? My next step is to try to separate these wires even more and see if I can improve the ground any. If that doesn't work, I'll try to reground the HU. If that doesn't work, should I run a wire between the HU ground point and the amp ground point? What else can I try? I know about the Pioneer HU stuff, but I really hope that a high end HU like this is free of noise. I really like the HU alot and don't want to get rid of it unless its a total last resort. Any help is really appriciated!
Have you unplugged the RCAs from the head unit while it was powered on?

I hope not...

If so I'll go with Milenko's suggestion that you're experiencing the now-infamous Pioneer RCA ground trace issue. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.