Android OS with wired video out capabilities?

Participant count
  • Participant list

goatgoatgoat

CarAudio.com Newbie
Does anyone know of a double din head unit that uses a later Android operating system (Android 10 or later preferably) that has some kind of video output? I recently purchased an '06 4runner that has two screens built into the back of the driver and passenger headrest, and they're connected to a DVD player in the glove box. I want to upgrade the factory navigation head unit to something android based that can utilize these back seat screens- ideally a head unit that can screen mirror and control my phone from the head unit while mirroring whatever is displayed on the head unit to the rear two screens. I've been looking and there seem to be slim pickings when it comes to android run head units. My other vehicle has a Joying head unit- though dated and slow (takes like 10-15 seconds to open the google maps app) I don't think I can ever go back to a non android HU. They can just do so much more than the other HU's. Anyway I'd love to do away with the DVD player in my glove box and have the extra rear screens mirror the head unit. I can play anything in a digital format from my phone, why do I need a whole DVD player taking up my glove box?!

I bought and installed this Joying last week. Its android 10. Has vid in and out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K3B64ZD/?tag=caraudiocom-20

So far I'm impressed. There was a glitch where on first Bluetooth sync it smoked all my Gmail contacts, i had to restore them from google. There where a few other small things i had to do to get it working as i wanted, and as you know already having had an Android unit, "finished" isn't a word that really ever describes setting them up..

But its quick, its smooth, the touch is responsive and accurate, picture is good, GPS great.... So far, i really, really like it.

Edit: I have not set up either the backup or dash cam yet, i have not done the OBD2 integration yet either and at the moment I'm running it off my phones hotspot or using android auto, so it doesn't have its own data sim in it yet. . So i can not vouch for any of that yet. I did run the 4g antennas and i do plan on using most of that (you can kill me before you put a camera on the dash of my car.. . The police already have enough ways to get evidence thank you.) and expect it to work. i have no tried it.

The volume knob was a decider for me. I NEED a PHYSICAL volume knob.

carefull, some of the joying's only have USB sync to android auto. That wasn't ok by me.

I would, (and did) recommend it to my best friends and I plan on putting one in my wifes 3rd gen 4 runner.

Last edited:
So far I'm impressed. There was a glitch where on first Bluetooth sync it smoked all my Gmail contacts, i had to restore them from google. There where a few other small things i had to do to get it working as i wanted, and as you know already having had an Android unit, "finished" isn't a word that really ever describes setting them up..

I had this same thing happen in the older joying model in my weekend vehicle. I found it would wipe all of the contacts in my phone, every time the head unit connected to the internet. This is because it was syncing incorrectly, the head unit was trying to be the master list and was syncing basically an empty list to google and causing my phone to sync the empty list, thus erasing all of my contacts.. very annoying. I turned off the sync which solved the problem.

carefull, some of the joying's only have USB sync to android auto. That wasn't ok by me.

I would, (and did) recommend it to my best friends and I plan on putting one in my wifes 3rd gen 4 runner.

The wireless sync is a must for me as well. As is the physical volume knob! I'll definitely be looking into the unit you linked. It NEEDS to be able to mirror the head unit display to the two rear screens, while mirroring my phone display to the head unit.. otherwise the two rear screens are basically useless to me. I don't even own any DVD's to use in the player in the glove box! Everything is digital these days. But I guess that's what you get when you purchase a used 2006!

Have you tried screen mirroring your phone to the head unit? How does it work? Is it bidirectional control when mirrored? The screen mirroring in the joying head unit in my weekend car needs a usb connection so I haven't bothered with it.

Tried last night. Mirroring gave me issues. And now I'm having issues connecting wirelessly for anything but standard Bluetooth.

And it ate my contacts again.

Not saying I'm disliking it. I'm an IT guy (and farmer haha) so troubleshooting through issues isn't something that turns me away. But definitely still sorting through bugs.

If you are looking for straight, no issues, seamless experience I can not tell you that's how my experience has been..

I'm throwing a sim in it tonight so it can function as a stand alone unit as I figure this all out.

Tried last night. Mirroring gave me issues. And now I'm having issues connecting wirelessly for anything but standard Bluetooth.

And it ate my contacts again.

Not saying I'm disliking it. I'm an IT guy (and farmer haha) so troubleshooting through issues isn't something that turns me away. But definitely still sorting through bugs.

If you are looking for straight, no issues, seamless experience I can not tell you that's how my experience has been..

I'm throwing a sim in it tonight so it can function as a stand alone unit as I figure this all out.

Sorry to hear that it ate your contacts again! Try turning off the sync in the google settings on the head unit for the google account you're using on your phone. This exact thing was happening to me with my older joying unit, and that was the only thing that I could figure out that made it stop eating my contacts.

I also don't mind troubleshooting through issues. When you get it working the way you want it to it makes it just a little bit more rewarding!

What kind of issues were you encountering while trying to mirror?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...