Amps get too hot to touch

Harris.Chambers

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all! I have a few week old Rockford Fosgate system with a P2 Loaded ported enclosure (dual 12’s)

Today, I was playing music for around 30 minutes at moderate volume, with the bass knob not touched, out loud for a fishing trip to hear out of the car. I checked the amps afterwards just to see and I couldn’t keep my hand on them for over 5 seconds. They were VERY hot. However, they have never shut off or gone into protect before. I have played them a bit hard since I got them and no issues at all. The amps are a 1200 watt and 400 watt, both Rockford Fosgate... they were very expensive and seem well built. Both are behind my rear seats with a stiff fabric flap covering them. However, there is still a bit of room for air.

Are they made to run at this type of temp? Have I damaged them?

I thermal protected a 4 channel one time at the beach playing for hours with no air flow. Thermal protected a couple 3800s at .5 each a few times at SBN giving demos sitting still.

Heat kills electronics so it's not a good idea. I would add some fans and spacers to allow air to pass under them.

One of the reasons I love Taramps amps is the quad internal smart fans keep them nice and cool.

Last edited:
I thermal protected a 4 channel one time at the beach playing for hours with no air flow. Thermal protected a couple 3800s at .5 each a few times at SBN giving demos sitting still. Heat kills electronics so it's not a good idea. I would add some fans and spacers to allow air to pass under them. One of the reasons I love Taramps amps is the quad internal smart fans keep them nice and cool.

I see... But the thing is, they have never gone into protect mode, only gotten too hot to touch. Even with my volume not too loud for me to handle. And if I can’t handle the volume then my speakers surely can’t, and I’ve never had it up loud enough for that anyways Lol

Very confusing😂

I see... But the thing is, they have never gone into protect mode, only gotten too hot to touch. Even with my volume not too loud for me to handle. And if I can’t handle the volume then my speakers surely can’t, and I’ve never had it up loud enough for that anyways Lol

Very confusing😂
Loudness is not an indicator of how hard you are pushing the amp. The signal produced is the clear indicator. What you think is not max volume could already be borderline clipping. You said you have a flap covering your amp... DONT. let it flow free, make an open base, do not have any part of the amp touch the car's fabric or carpeting, those are absolute heat sinks. Just because the amp worked fine for now, doesnt mean you arent shaving days off its overall lifespan and performance capabilities. Heat is never a good thing in electronics and usually when you have that much heat generated, its poor electricals, clipping, bad insulation or a combination of either.

Loudness is not an indicator of how hard you are pushing the amp. The signal produced is the clear indicator. What you think is not max volume could already be borderline clipping. You said you have a flap covering your amp... DONT. let it flow free, make an open base, do not have any part of the amp touch the car's fabric or carpeting, those are absolute heat sinks. Just because the amp worked fine for now, doesnt mean you arent shaving days off its overall lifespan and performance capabilities. Heat is never a good thing in electronics and usually when you have that much heat generated, its poor electricals, clipping, bad insulation or a combination of either.

I understand. I will be putting spacers on the flap and adding a fan underneath. However, do you think this has already damaged my amps? If they ran this hot before I'm not sure... But if I don't let this happen again will they be okay? Just worried cause I dropped a bit over a grand into this system Lol

EDIT: All my parts have a 2 year warranty so it's not the end of the world if something does go bad

Last edited:
Amps are probably ok, but that flap has to completely go. Amps must trade high internal temperature for lower ambient temperature. So unrestricted air is optimal, especially in a static environment.

Amps are probably ok, but that flap has to completely go. Amps must trade high internal temperature for lower ambient temperature. So unrestricted air is optimal, especially in a static environment.

The flap cannot be removed, it is part of the trim by the trunk. However, I have put rubber spacers on it so it no longer touches the amps, a few inches of room for air above them now.

The flap cannot be removed, it is part of the trim by the trunk. However, I have put rubber spacers on it so it no longer touches the amps, a few inches of room for air above them now.

Rockford products have a temperature cutoff in them, so long as it's not overheating that or burning your carpet it's fine. You being able to touch it doesn't really mean anything about the silicon inside. Silicon begins breaking down at about boiling temperature, so if you feel that it's extremely hot then that just means the heat sink chassis works well. The suggestions about putting it on something instead of carpet is a good idea. This flap you're talking about is at the base of the trunk lid near the hinge I assume. That should be held down with plastic tabs once you're done wiring under it. The amp can be placed on top of it and there shouldn't be much contact with the seat up. That's assuming it's what I'm talking about of course.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.