Amplifier to power Alpine SWR-12D2. Can I use what I got?

Participant count
  • Participant list

danielnews

CarAudio.com Recruit
I ordered a 5 channel amp but it was on backorder for 4 months so I ended up not getting it. My brother gave me a couple amplifiers and a 12" sub that someone gave to him. I'm wondering if I can string them together, if it'll be enough. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just 4 speakers and a 12" sub. I'm wondering if I necessarily need a large amp to run the Alpine sub, or if I could do with less in the meantime. I seem to remember hearing that if you underpowered a sub it could damage a sub so I wanted to be careful.

AMPS

Avionixx cxa 1220 2 channel Class AB amp

• 200 Watts per channel into 4ohm
  • 310 Watts per channel into 2ohms
  • Max power 640W

Alpine MRV F300
  • 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (75 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
  • 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
  • Max power 640W

SPEAKERS

Polk DB401 X 4. (PEAK 135, RMS 4-45)
Alpine SWR-12D2 (PEAK 3,000, RMS 300-1000)

Any advice would be great, new to car systems. Thanks!

Just wire your sub to a 4 ohm load and you will be fine for a while ( Dont go slamming it all the time and clipp the crap out of it ) set your gains properly until you get a 1 ohm stable mono amp. Get a decent HU. You have some really decent stuff. Just dont expect window shaking bass and screaming mids and highs.. but at least some decent mid quality sound

Just wire your sub to a 4 ohm load and you will be fine for a while ( Dont go slamming it all the time and clipp the crap out of it ) set your gains properly until you get a 1 ohm stable mono amp. Get a decent HU. You have some really decent stuff. Just dont expect window shaking bass and screaming mids and highs.. but at least some decent mid quality sound

Awesome, that's what I was hoping, thanks! Mid quality sound will definitely do for now.

According to the diagram, I think the sub is already wired to a 4 ohm load (PIC). Maybe you can verify.

I was thinking to run the sub off of the Alpine MRV F300 and the little Polks from the Avionixx. Would that make most sense to you? Just send the output of the Avionixx to the Alpine?

Attachments

• ALPINE MRV F300 .jpg
    ALPINE MRV F300 .jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 73
Ah wait, the Avionixx is only 2 channel, so I couldn't do the 4 Polks with that. So it would be the Alpine powering the door speakers and the Avionixxx powering the sub. Or is there another option?

Thinking now to power front speakers with channel 1 of the Alpine, then send mono out of channel 2 to the Avionixx to power the back speakers (which would be in mono) and the sub. I'm not sure if this wiring is even correct, just thinking out loud.

Heh I may be answering my own question, I need a distribution block don't I? If one amp was powering the other obviously it would only have the power of the first... hehe

Wire the 4 channel to the door speakers and bridge the 2 channel to the sub.
^^^^^Do This!^^^^^The sub wiring Looks Correct for the 4 ohm load to be bridged Mono to the Avionixx amp . Give your brother a call . He may be able to help you get these in properly if he gave you the Audio gear. Sounds like you need quite a bit of help. Call him this weekend

Last edited:
^^^^^Do This!^^^^^The sub wiring Looks Correct for the 4 ohm load to be bridged Mono to the Avionixx amp . Give your brother a call . He may be able to help you get these in properly if he gave you the Audio gear. Sounds like you need quite a bit of help. Call him this weekend

He's never done an install sadly. Had a bit of a brain blip about the powering... think I'm getting there, slowly but surely

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...