Amplifier stuck in protect

Participant count
  • Participant list

alvogel122

So recently my subwoofer blew and I wasn't too sad about it because it was time for an upgrade anyway. So I just got my new sub in and hooked it all up and now my amp won't go out of protect. I'm not sure if this has been the case ever since the sub blew to begin with, but I just now noticed it. Anyway, I've been troubleshooting it, trying to figure out if it's an external or internal problem with the amp. Meaning I disconnected all of the wires except power, ground, and remote turn-on wires. Even with all of that removed it still turns on then immediately goes into protect. So with all of that being said, I'm fairly certain something inside the amplifier got fucked up when my sub blew but I can't imagine how... So, I'm just posting this here to see if anyone has any tips or ideas I could try or maybe the cause behind the internal failure of the amp. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

How did you blow your sub? More than likely clipping. If the amp has bass boost on it, turn it off, or ccw all the way until it stops rotating. Next up, turn the gain down on the amp if it's not set correctly. Many youtube video tutorials on how to properly set your gain. More than likely it is the amp. But to be sure, find another amp or borrow one from a buddy and hook up the sub just to be sure but don't be stupid and crank it to high heaven. You might be experiencing low voltage from your electrical. Some amps on the market are picky about voltage stabilizing, meaning if its too low, amp won't work. Check ground wire from amp to chassis.....needs to be clean, free of paint. Bare metal to bare metal. Sometimes too and it happens occasionally when a person wires the sub or subs to an amp w/o realizing they're wiring below the amps recommended ohm load. You could have a short some place too.....causing your issue. Check all connections between amp and sub, make sure they're tight.

How did you blow your sub? More than likely clipping. If the amp has bass boost on it, turn it off, or ccw all the way until it stops rotating. Next up, turn the gain down on the amp if it's not set correctly. Many youtube video tutorials on how to properly set your gain. More than likely it is the amp. But to be sure, find another amp or borrow one from a buddy and hook up the sub just to be sure but don't be stupid and crank it to high heaven. You might be experiencing low voltage from your electrical. Some amps on the market are picky about voltage stabilizing, meaning if its too low, amp won't work. Check ground wire from amp to chassis.....needs to be clean, free of paint. Bare metal to bare metal. Sometimes too and it happens occasionally when a person wires the sub or subs to an amp w/o realizing they're wiring below the amps recommended ohm load. You could have a short some place too.....causing your issue. Check all connections between amp and sub, make sure they're tight.
Alright so I’ve done most of that. I’ve used a dmm and the voltage between positive and negative is 14.4 so the power is all good. I’ve traced the wires all along the car and everything is in working order. I believe i did blow the sub by clipping too much though. It blew wired down to 2 ohms and my amp is 1 ohm stable. So as of right now my new sub is wiring the amp down to 1 ohm. That doesn’t really matter thought because even when i disconnect y’all of the non essential wires, it still goes into to protect. My amp has no bass boost feature. The gain is set correctly. I really just think my amp is fucked.

Alright so I’ve done most of that. I’ve used a dmm and the voltage between positive and negative is 14.4 so the power is all good. I’ve traced the wires all along the car and everything is in working order. I believe i did blow the sub by clipping too much though. It blew wired down to 2 ohms and my amp is 1 ohm stable. So as of right now my new sub is wiring the amp down to 1 ohm. That doesn’t really matter thought because even when i disconnect y’all of the non essential wires, it still goes into to protect. My amp has no bass boost feature. The gain is set correctly. I really just think my amp is fucked.
Sounds like its cooked possibly.What amplifier? What sub and Coil configuration? Need make sure you are not wired down to .5 ohm or less.What is your electrical consist of?Size supply wiring, Alt amperage and battery bank ect

Sounds like its cooked possibly.What amplifier? What sub and Coil configuration? Need make sure you are not wired down to .5 ohm or less.What is your electrical consist of?Size supply wiring, Alt amperage and battery bank ect
My amp is an soundqubed s1-1250. I have a dvc 2 ohm sub wired in parallel down to 1 ohm. I know i did that right. my new sub is a sundown sa-12 rev 3 d2. I have ofc 4 gauge ran through the car to the amp and my alt can do 120 amps i believe. None of this would affect whether or not the amp could come out of protect though... I think it’s just fucked. Might have to take it apart if soundqubed wont

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.