amplifier problem

marcin93
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I have a soundstream rubicon 2500 D that has been acting up a lot lately. It has been good for around 5 months now until one day it started to make a crazy monotone noise. This noise continued even when i turned the radio off. When I turn the car off and back on it will make some popping noise and go blank or go back to the monotone noise. Any ideas on what is wrong?

P.S I have inverted the subwoofer a couple of months ago my own ghetto way and was wondering if it is possible that over time it just fried the amp? I am new to this stuff so dont criticize me too much.

You honestly think that the warranty can cover this? and btw what could be a reason for this happening? I dont want this to happen again. Could it be because I did not upgrade ANY of my electrical in my car??

You honestly think that the warranty can cover this? and btw what could be a reason for this happening? I dont want this to happen again. Could it be because I did not upgrade ANY of my electrical in my car??
Sounds like you already know what the problem is. I'm guessing the amps about done now, so you might as well see what warranty can do for you. Just remember, if you get it replaced or end up buying a new amp with that kind of power, you MUST upgrade electrical or you'll be in the same predicament.

what wire size ect...

need details..

you coulda smoked it running it at too low of an impedance... but it does sound like the output or power supply is fubar..

any protect or thermal lights lit up?

I can not tell you what size wires because i honestly have no clue, all I bought was a 2 gauge amp kit. The protection mode light does turn on though. So you guys are tellin me that the big 3 is a MUST? or even more...?

definately more and you need at least 1/0 for 2500 rms //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

from SS website:

Direct Wire 0 ga. Power, 4 ga. Speaker Terminals (2500D) 250A fusing

you prolly killed it from voltage drop or clipping trying to draw more juice than the wire would allow and the car can't produce enough...

welll this amp runs like 1700 rms....thats besides the point. So i guess I found my reason. The real question here is if warranty will cover it??

at 2 ohms it should run 1700 but usually installer error is not covered

just call and see what happens ... may get lucky //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

at 2 ohms it should run 1700 but usually installer error is not covered

just call and see what happens ... may get lucky //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok thanks alot everyone, btw if anyone thinks they might know a cheap way to fix this then let me kno....just in case the warranty doesn't cover.

Awsome advice in this thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

OP the first thing you should do is check your wiring.. an RCA ground making contact with chassis ground can cause exactly what you describe.. try feeding the amp with a signal from an MP3 player and see what happens...

My ground is on the top of my trunk...Ill get that checked tho. Oh and btw im new to this stuff and when you say send a signal from an mp3 i have noooo clue how to do that haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.