Amplifier install

sj2000
10+ year member

Colorado
Hi I am a newbie, I am trying to install 2 amplifiers for my car, everytime I read the manual of the amplifier, always recommends not to put in the fuse first, always install the power wire to the pos battery terminal and also ground the neg cable, then the last step install the fuse in, is this just precautious or the way we install the amp should be like this? I am going to have a distribution block and 2 amplifiers, and I don't have fused distribution block but each of the power wire will have a fuse, AGU type. Does it matter if I put in the fuse or not when I connect the power wire? Thanks.

well..your batt should be disconnected to start of..also..if you have a fuse dist block..then you dont need an inline fuse..but if you have 2 inline fuse..then that should be good as well. and if your working on it without the fuse, the power will not travel all the way through...

well..your batt should be disconnected to start of..also..if you have a fuse dist block..then you dont need an inline fuse..but if you have 2 inline fuse..then that should be good as well. and if your working on it without the fuse, the power will not travel all the way through...
You need an inline fuse by the battery regardless of a fused dist block or not.

lmao i can't wait to see a thread from you about how your battery caught fire and spewed acid all over your engine

Hi I am a newbie, I am trying to install 2 amplifiers for my car, everytime I read the manual of the amplifier, always recommends not to put in the fuse first, always install the power wire to the pos battery terminal and also ground the neg cable, then the last step install the fuse in, is this just precautious or the way we install the amp should be like this? I am going to have a distribution block and 2 amplifiers, and I don't have fused distribution block but each of the power wire will have a fuse, AGU type. Does it matter if I put in the fuse or not when I connect the power wire? Thanks.
Read the following list:

1) Remove NEG- cable from all batteries prior to any wiring. That includes RCA cables, power wires, ground wires, speaker wires, etc. Also disconnect any caps in your system and place them in the trash.

2) Always fuse every POS+ wire coming off every battery within 18 inches of the post. Always use a fuse that matches the rating of the wire being used, or smaller if you choose. Never use a fuse larger than the wire is rated for.

3) Use ANL style fuses instead of AGU types. AGU type fuses have been known to only blow half way and cut your voltage in half. This is not a desired effect.

4) Always make sure your ground wire (NEG-) is equal to the power wire (POS+). Make sure you have a solid clean piece of metal to ground to for smaller power devices. If you have a bigger power device like a sub amp, it should be grounded directly to a battery.

5) Last thing to connect should be the NEG- wire to each battery. Some sparking will be present. Make sure that the battery area is well ventilated when making this connection. Use of a fan to blow fresh air into the battery area is a good idea if your battery is not a sealed type.

6) If a fuse blows as soon as this connection is made, you can be sure you have something wired wrong. You are likely out a $10 fuse if you properly fused as #2 states.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.