Amplifier goes into protect - ONLY when playing 60-65hz

Participant count
  • Participant list

R@kshasa

CarAudio.com Newbie
Best example I can give: The hills by The weeknd. The song's chorus has three long bass notes that get progressively lower. My amp goes into protect on the highest (first), recovers, and slams everything else without a hitch.
Search and rescue by Drake is another.

Voltage does not fall under 13v (checked on amp terminals)

I only own a basic analog multi meter. Poll rate is essentially instantaneous.

JVC kw-m560bt
Pioneer 9701d @ 1ohm
2X Alpine Type-R 10
Dual 10" sealed chambers
Gain at 50%. Only using the x-over on amp LPF @ ~ 160hz
200 amp aftermarket alternator
2x Bluetop batteries
2GA Pwr/gnd

Last edited:
160 is way high for bass.i would say that amp cannot produce the power you are asking it to do.i would still set the xover at 80.

edit: After looking at that amp,me personally i would go with something else.i went with one of those 9701d amps years ago.didnt take me long to get a different branded one lol.back then,i went with the autotek street machine.damn good amp.from there i went to kicker,to skar version 1,to crescendo.and now the JP33 cause at the time,crescendo didnt have the 4k i wanted but they do have a better option then that pioneer amp. those subs should take way more than that amp is putting out.

Last edited:
Which Alpines 2 or 4 ohm DVC?
They're SWR-10D4 subs in parallel-parallel. Nominal impedance at the connection terminal reads 1.1Ω. I believe it's probably a setting on my head unit, just haven't had a chance to test it yet. I have bass boost off, but I read that there's a setting in the EQ menu that adds +3db to 62.5hz, on top of the EQ setting. If that's the case, the amp would try to produce about 2x what it should at that frequency, resulting in protect.
I'll update when I test it. My last resort will be to borrow my buddy's spectrum analyzer and put it on the pre-out and amp outs to see if there are anomalous spikes.

160 is way high for bass.i would say that amp cannot produce the power you are asking it to do.i would still set the xover at 80.

edit: After looking at that amp,me personally i would go with something else.i went with one of those 9701d amps years ago.didnt take me long to get a different branded one lol.back then,i went with the autotek street machine.damn good amp.from there i went to kicker,to skar version 1,to crescendo.and now the JP33 cause at the time,crescendo didnt have the 4k i wanted but they do have a better option then that pioneer amp. those subs should take way more than that amp is putting out.

Replacing it would be ideal, as the subs can take 750-800 in a good sealed box (which I have). I'm also not a fan of the 9701's lack of a sub-sonic filter, considering they are 10" subs. Even with the X-over at 80, it still happens.

I believe it's probably a setting on my head unit, just haven't had a chance to test it yet. I have bass boost off, but I read that there's a setting in the EQ menu that adds +3db to 62.5hz, on top of the EQ setting. If that's the case, the amp would try to produce about 2x what it should at that frequency, resulting in protect.
I'll update when I test it. My last resort will be to borrow my buddy's spectrum analyzer and put it on the pre-out and amp outs to see if there are anomalous spikes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...