Amped up!

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Los Angeles
Just purchased a SI MKV sub, 450 watts RMS @ 2 Ohm. Now it's time to select an amp.

I'm a small YouTuber, so everything I post on my channel comes out of my own pocket. As such, my budget is tight, but I would still like to show something that's not bottom of the barrel and that can make this subwoofer perform. Doing several days of research I've determined that several budget amps with the specs the MKV has, keep coming up. Here are the contenders so far:

1. MMATS LS1250.1d (checking out a seller on ebay to see if they are actually authorized sellers - pretty low price for the amp - waiting on MMATS to verify)
2. Alpine S-A60M
3. Rockford Fosgate PRIME R750-1D
4. Sundown Audio SFB-1000D (RMS Power at 14.4V DC 2 ohm Mono: 860-watts maybe too much)
5. Pioneer GM-D8601
6. D'Amore E750.1 - just slightly over budget
7. JL Audio Jx500/1d

They are all hovering around the $200 - $250 price range and look like they would perform well. Eventually I will do a complete system, but for now the topic will be adding a custom enclosed sub to a stock 2nd gen Toyota Tundra system. The video to precede this one will deal with sound dampening the cab and doors. No 2nd battery and for now stock alternator.

I'd like to get input on these amps and more recommendations in the sub $250 range that would do the job if I missed any.

Thanks

Last edited:

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I honestly think you’ll be satisfied with any choice. Check out creative audio as they sell jl refurb as well and you can get a 10% off coupon as well. Bought my JL RD 400/4 from there and love it.

Reactions: EricTundra

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Minot, North Dakota, United States
Williston Audio did a dyno on the Prime and they do rated clean.

The Pioneer in my mind is out of the question. Its a nice amp, does rated, but does not have a sub-sonic filter.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Why not the Rockford Fosgate R500.1d PRIME?

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
Out of those I would definitely pick the sfb1k its small size would allow for it to be mounted almost anywhere and you don't have to Match your amp/sub up watt for watt without going into too much detail that others could explain better then myself its always ideal to have an amp that puts out 30-50% MORE then your subs rms power handling for dynamic headroom and impedance rise.

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Los Angeles
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Two Sundown endorsements. Does the amp have more power if it gets autographed 😎? That may be the way to go for the reasons already mentioned. Keep the suggestions and comments coming. The build is a little ways off since I have to do a sound dampening video first.

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
Sundown has new amps coming soon supposed to be more efficient.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Out of those I would definitely pick the sfb1k its small size would allow for it to be mounted almost anywhere and you don't have to Match your amp/sub up watt for watt without going into too much detail that others could explain better then myself its always ideal to have an amp that puts out 30-50% MORE then your subs rms power handling for dynamic headroom and impedance rise.
Normally I would agree. But with the Si BM MKV, recommended .65 to .75 cu.ft sealed. So SQish. Being an SQ and SPL past competitor, in SQ I always matched my amplifier to the sub. He needs 450 watts. The PRIME puts out 580 watts, after rise, he should be in the 450rms range. In SPL I always looked for amps with more headroom. And I would tune to whatever wattage I needed. Knowing it would never stay in my car long, I always wanted more.

@EricTundra; either of these amps, other than the Pioneer, would be a good choice. Granted, a subsonic filter is not really needed running sealed. But if you ever changed subs and wanted ported, you would benefit from it. Thats why I do not recommend the Pioneer.

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Los Angeles
Either of these amps, other than the Pioneer, would be a good choice. Granted, a subsonic filter is not really needed running sealed. But if you ever changed subs and wanted ported, you would benefit from it. Thats why I do not recommend the Pioneer.
Anthony,

do you mean either Prime or SFB-1000D ? Or are you just talking about both Fosgates?

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Anthony,

do you mean either Prime or SFB-1000D ? Or are you just talking about both Fosgates?
I meant any amp you listed, other than the Pioneer.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
Why did you mention your occupation? Are you asking which amp is best for that sub or which will get you more views?

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Please don’t use D4S if you buy Sundown. Sundown will offer a solid warranty for an off the shelf Chinese product (I am a fan of sundown). Rockford is always solid. JL is always solid. For the power you’re running I don’t think you can go wrong.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Why did you mention your occupation? Are you asking which amp is best for that sub or which will get you more views?
Why not. Youtubers make money by views. The more he puts his name out there the more money he makes.

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Los Angeles
When I said Youtuber, I did not mean to imply that that was my occupation, lol, it most definitely is not. I uploaded a video about four years ago just to be able to show it to different friends on a shared platform. From there I added a video every now and then on simple how-to projects and tricks I learned by trial and error.

For my next few videos, I am going to share my experience on sound insulating a truck and then upgrading the stock stereo bit by bit. Whenever I do a project, Youtube or not, I like to gather a sizeable amount of information about every aspect of the venture so I can make better decisions. It's my belief that carefully gathered information is valuable and an asset to someone contemplating a similar project.

My channel is less than a thousand subscribers and I have not made one penny off it and will likely not make any money off it for years if ever. So to answer your question, I gather info to share freely with anyone that will take the time to view the video. In the process, I learn as I go. For instance, I leaned that often the problem with sub installs is that they are either under powered or over powered. That's the reason I am here and getting input on the amps that I believe would be a good fit.

If I present information that makes sense and opens options, in this example, which amps would work best to satisfy the sub, then everything is gravy. I have not and will not make a video or present content simply to generate "views". Kinda passionate in that way.

I do appreciate everyone's input and always give credit where credit is due.

Ok, time to get off my soap box 🎬

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Los Angeles
Got another question about signal to noise ratio that I didn't get a good grasp on by looking at the google threads. I gathered that a good signal to noise ratio for an amplifier is around 90db. The higher the better, so a 95 or 100db rating is better. So why are some amplifiers rated with a negative db score and how does that compare with the positive values? For instance, the MMATS is rated at -90db signal to noise ratio.

Something else that caught my attention is the frequency response. The values I usually see are something along the lines of 20Hz – 20000Hz +- 1dB, but again the MMATS has a stated frequency response of 10Hz – 300Hz +- 1dB? Does that mean it has no output above 300Hz? Obviously I'm missing something here. Anyone?

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I don’t think their s/n ratio is meant to be a negative number. The higher the better but you’ll open a can of worms about really hearing any difference.
Frequency response is the amps ability to play a frequency range. For a sub, you do not need something that’s up to 20k hz. Most subs are crossed around 80-100 hz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days