Amped up!

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just purchased a SI MKV sub, 450 watts RMS @ 2 Ohm. Now it's time to select an amp.

I'm a small YouTuber, so everything I post on my channel comes out of my own pocket. As such, my budget is tight, but I would still like to show something that's not bottom of the barrel and that can make this subwoofer perform. Doing several days of research I've determined that several budget amps with the specs the MKV has, keep coming up. Here are the contenders so far:

1. MMATS LS1250.1d (checking out a seller on ebay to see if they are actually authorized sellers - pretty low price for the amp - waiting on MMATS to verify)
2. Alpine S-A60M
3. Rockford Fosgate PRIME R750-1D
4. Sundown Audio SFB-1000D (RMS Power at 14.4V DC 2 ohm Mono: 860-watts maybe too much)
5. Pioneer GM-D8601
6. D'Amore E750.1 - just slightly over budget
7. JL Audio Jx500/1d

They are all hovering around the $200 - $250 price range and look like they would perform well. Eventually I will do a complete system, but for now the topic will be adding a custom enclosed sub to a stock 2nd gen Toyota Tundra system. The video to precede this one will deal with sound dampening the cab and doors. No 2nd battery and for now stock alternator.

I'd like to get input on these amps and more recommendations in the sub $250 range that would do the job if I missed any.

Thanks

Last edited:
I honestly think you’ll be satisfied with any choice. Check out creative audio as they sell jl refurb as well and you can get a 10% off coupon as well. Bought my JL RD 400/4 from there and love it.

Out of those I would definitely pick the sfb1k its small size would allow for it to be mounted almost anywhere and you don't have to Match your amp/sub up watt for watt without going into too much detail that others could explain better then myself its always ideal to have an amp that puts out 30-50% MORE then your subs rms power handling for dynamic headroom and impedance rise.

Two Sundown endorsements. Does the amp have more power if it gets autographed 😎? That may be the way to go for the reasons already mentioned. Keep the suggestions and comments coming. The build is a little ways off since I have to do a sound dampening video first.

Out of those I would definitely pick the sfb1k its small size would allow for it to be mounted almost anywhere and you don't have to Match your amp/sub up watt for watt without going into too much detail that others could explain better then myself its always ideal to have an amp that puts out 30-50% MORE then your subs rms power handling for dynamic headroom and impedance rise.

Normally I would agree. But with the Si BM MKV, recommended .65 to .75 cu.ft sealed. So SQish. Being an SQ and SPL past competitor, in SQ I always matched my amplifier to the sub. He needs 450 watts. The PRIME puts out 580 watts, after rise, he should be in the 450rms range. In SPL I always looked for amps with more headroom. And I would tune to whatever wattage I needed. Knowing it would never stay in my car long, I always wanted more.

@EricTundra; either of these amps, other than the Pioneer, would be a good choice. Granted, a subsonic filter is not really needed running sealed. But if you ever changed subs and wanted ported, you would benefit from it. Thats why I do not recommend the Pioneer.

Either of these amps, other than the Pioneer, would be a good choice. Granted, a subsonic filter is not really needed running sealed. But if you ever changed subs and wanted ported, you would benefit from it. Thats why I do not recommend the Pioneer.

Anthony,

do you mean either Prime or SFB-1000D ? Or are you just talking about both Fosgates?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
EricTundra
Los Angeles
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from