Amp'd my comps this weekend, issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

hatedonmostly
5,000+ posts

throwin' hunnits, hunnits
Detroit, MI
I think my speakers are out of phase, they start getting staticky when I start to turn up the volume.

I think I messed this up because on the speakers, on the positive and negative voice coils, the terminals were different sizes; I think I assumed that the larger terminal would be the positive, although it connected to the black w/ white wire, as opposed to the all black wire.

So, I'm thinking that's definitely a possibility. However, I also did not remove all the paint from the area around my ground for my amp as well, another problem I will have to fix.

Also, I had the wrong kind of RCA y-splitters at first; I have 1F 2M splitters and need 1M 2F. It was late, so I went to the store and got some home theater y-splitters, turn on the radio to see how it sounds and I get a weird noise that I can only describe as a UFO landing in a '50's horror movie. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif So I instead connected the RCAs for my component amp directly to the receiver and it worked fine. I figure I need a set of RCAs more geared toward car audio use. Will buying just any set suffice or will I need something like shielded RCAs?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The ground could be the culprit. Make sure you get a good ground and sand off all the paint. Being out of phase means they are canceling each other out, that would not create a static sound. Im guessing you have a pioneer head unit... if this is the case, then thats the problem. You need to ground the RCAs to the headunit to fix this, there's a sticky around this forum on how to fix that.

The ground could be the culprit. Make sure you get a good ground and sand off all the paint. Being out of phase means they are canceling each other out, that would not create a static sound. Im guessing you have a pioneer head unit... if this is the case, then thats the problem. You need to ground the RCAs to the headunit to fix this, there's a sticky around this forum on how to fix that.
How likely is the ground though? It's only a 20 amp amp. The static issue only happens when the bass hits. Are my crossovers ****ed? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

HU is a Clarion.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif I dont remember maybe I was drunk lol
"I'll text you when I go to work tomorrow night and get my schedule"

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Oh shi- I remember now lol let me know when you re do **** and ill try to help find the problem
Probably Tuesday if that's good for you

Additional info, when the volume is low, the speakers sound fine, when the volume increases and the bass hits, the speakers get staticky and quiet. This starts at about half volume. Both speakers do it in sync with each other, so I highly doubt it's a problem because of the speakers or wiring themselves...crossovers too.

Probably Tuesday if that's good for you
Additional info, when the volume is low, the speakers sound fine, when the volume increases and the bass hits, the speakers get staticky and quiet.
sounds good I got tuesday off so that works out just got class from 10-130ish

sounds good I got tuesday off so that works out just got class from 10-130ish
I don't have class all day so I'll probably sleep in and get back around that time.

Gain is also turned waaay down to match HU voltage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.