Amp Wiring...Fuses HELP

devildriver421

So I'm doing going to be running 2 amps in my car...an alpine mrp-m1000 and a mrp-f300. The 1000 needs a 100a fuse, the 300 needs a 50a fuse. Traditionally I would mount the fuse as close to the battery as possible. I was planning on running a 2awg cable to a power distribution box near the amps, then running a 4awg to the 1000 and a 8awg to the 300. My question is, would I be able to just put the fuses after the distribution box?

The ideal setup would be a 150 amp fuse within 1 foot of a battery, and seperate fuses like you were saying. A 100 amp for the M1000 and the 50 amp for the other amp. That way if you get a short in your main line, it'll burn the 150 amp fuse..... if you get a short in one of your amps or lines to your amps, it'll trip the smaller fuses after the distro block.

fusing the power wire a foot from the battery isn't to save your amps. it's to save your car from burning to the ground.

So I'm doing going to be running 2 amps in my car...an alpine mrp-m1000 and a mrp-f300. The 1000 needs a 100a fuse, the 300 needs a 50a fuse. Traditionally I would mount the fuse as close to the battery as possible. I was planning on running a 2awg cable to a power distribution box near the amps, then running a 4awg to the 1000 and a 8awg to the 300. My question is, would I be able to just put the fuses after the distribution box?
The fuses are meant to protect the wire. to stop shorts and electrical fires. The fuse from batt to distro is.....you guessed it to protect that wire. The fuses after the distro....from distro to amp is....you guessed it ALSO to protect that wire. The fuses on your amp are to....you guessed it to protect those amps.

It depends. The cleanest install will have grounds running directly to the battery and have the battery ground isolated from the car's ground. That way you don't have any ground loops causing a hum or feedback condition. Most of the time guys just ground them to the body with some 0-4 gauge power cable, same with the battery. In most installs, it won't cause a significant problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.