Amp turns on, but wont recieve input

Participant count
  • Participant list

BabyPenguin

Lets get right down to it.

I have a Hifonics BRX 2000.1d amplifier and two Alpine SWR-12d4s

I hook everything up and it looks good, the amp turns on (Lights on the amplifier turn on as well as power light).

When I play some music... The subwoofers arent working. So I check all my connections at least 100 times and they are all good.

Anyways I'm using my stock HU and a Line Output Converter, so I check the RCA connections on the amp side that lead from the LOC with a test light, and sure enough they aren't outputting a signal.

I've checked all the wires the LOC is connected to a dozen times with music playing and they are all correct and connected.

NOW. I'm sitting there listening to the music, trying to think of what to check next when my amp starts to make a steady high pitched note, and it wont stop. All of the sudden it resets itself, and still doesn't work, but the lights switch off and come back on, as well as a sudden boom from the subwoofers.

Is it possibly my LOC just doesn't work? What else could be the problem?

ALSO NOTE: My car is currently non-running, and i'm testing the system with a 12 volt ATV battery... Lol

Could be 3 things.

1. Your LOC is faulty / not spliced into the correct wires

2. Your RCA wire is faulty

3. Your amp is broken

You can check your RCA's with a multi meter. Play some music, and set the multimeter to AC voltage. Put the negative lead on the outer shielding of the RCA, and the positive lead on the prong. If it reads 0 volts, test it where it comes out of the LOC. If it's still 0v, your LOC isn't hooked up properly or is broken.

Could be 3 things.
1. Your LOC is faulty / not spliced into the correct wires

2. Your RCA wire is faulty

3. Your amp is broken

You can check your RCA's with a multi meter. Play some music, and set the multimeter to AC voltage. Put the negative lead on the outer shielding of the RCA, and the positive lead on the prong. If it reads 0 volts, test it where it comes out of the LOC. If it's still 0v, your LOC isn't hooked up properly or is broken.
Okay I tried what you said. The LOC RCA outputs read a steady amount of volts, as well as the other end of the RCAs. But when I plug them into the amp, I still get no sound.

I bought the Hifonics BRX 2000.1d brand new and only opened it yesterday, so I don't think it should be damaged, and maybe I hooked it up wrong? Here's my setup.

1WyRCKh.jpg

NOTE: YOU CANT SEE THE REMOTE WIRE, BUT I ASSURE YOU IT'S THERE, THE AMP LIGHTS DO TURN ON WHEN I TURN MY RADIO ON

dS8Ex95.jpg

mKSewOj.jpg

Here is where I attach my ground.

hj3CYb8.jpg

Also, the subs do make a sudden thump when I connect and disconnect the amp power wire, so I know the wiring inside the box works.

Unplug the remote bass knob and try that. Sometimes they are faulty and mess things up

Still nothing, but I was half way through the song and a strange high pitched note showed up. I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from, but then I got out of my car to go look at the amp and when I shut my door it stopped.

Also I don't know if it matters for the problem I'm having, but my in line fuse is really close to my amp (I recently found out it's supposed to be by my battery... Lol.) so I will definitely relocate it, but for now I'm just trying to get the system to work first.

Okay so I was looking at my inline fuse and it almost looks like it blew (sorry my camera ***** so bad)
bU4V1di.jpg
Set your DMM to continuity and stick the leads into either side of the wire going into the fuse. If it beeps, the fuse is good. And yes, your fuse should be about 12" from the battery. In the case of a short, the length of wire leading up to the fuse will usually burn up and be no good. Though, you said your amp turns on fine so the fuse must be good.

Sorry it's taken so long guys, had to wait for a paycheck to get the 3.5mm to rca.

Anyways the subs work when the rca input signal comes directly from my phone. I'm assuming the LOC is busted, the gains wont turn either way and when I shine a light down them it looks like they are ripped to **** ($3 ebay LOC....).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.