Amp too powerful?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mattwm
10+ year member

Hi all -

I have the Alpine PDX-V9 amp with four Polk Audio DXi650s component speakers rated for 55w at 4 ohms. The amp is rated for 100w at 4 ohms.

I know when tuning the amp you're suppose to set the amp gain to it's lowest setting and then gradually increase until the speakers begin to distort. By reducing the gain a bit, does this determine the maximum power to the speakers for maximum performance and safe operation? Or does it just mean that the speakers can handle it but after so much use they'll end up failing in little time?

Put your crossover at 100hz, turn your volume up to where you listen to your music.. or the loudest you will on the headunit... either by ear set the gain until you hear a slight distortion and back off a bit.. or set with dmm and back it off if you hear distortion. If you have to, you can up the crossover a bit and raise it on your sub to balance it out and help with the mids.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.