Amp too powerful?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrmafioso04
10+ year member

i got infinity kappa 6x9's that handle 110 watts RMS. I got a profile amp giving them 100 watts rms. I blew the speakers now and i was thinking maybe the amp is too powerful? you think i should get an amp that only gives them like 80 watts rms?

i got infinity kappa 6x9's that handle 110 watts RMS. I got a profile amp giving them 100 watts rms. I blew the speakers now and i was thinking maybe the amp is too powerful? you think i should get an amp that only gives them like 80 watts rms?
your problem isn't power it's distortion and or clipping. i know for a fact those speakers will handle 110 watts of clean power but, on the downside of that they will distort and sound like ass. with yor profile amp you probably sent a clipped signal to your speakers which means instead of 100rms they saw like 500rms which they can't handle thermally or mechanically. anyway, turn your gains down and keep that amp, when you notice distorion in your speakers turn it down. be safe not a volume master and you should be fine.

adam

ahaha 500 watts rms? i dont think so!! But i sent them back for a fresh pair of those 6x9's so when they come back i will try it with the gain all the way down! thanx, yeah i do remember i turned the gain up high to get those speakers pounding oops

ahaha 500 watts rms? i dont think so!! But i sent them back for a fresh pair of those 6x9's so when they come back i will try it with the gain all the way down! thanx, yeah i do remember i turned the gain up high to get those speakers pounding oops
if you clipped the speakers with a clipped signal from the amp, then yeah they probably saw 500rms for a split second which could have caused issues. generally clipping will be a very bad thing unless you do it on purpose at comps with speakers that can handle that power thermally for a few seconds.

adam

what about having them filtered, you sure they aren't recieving some sub bass which might hurt them, my friend had some problems with his speakers when they had some low frequencies coming out of them. just a suggestion

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.