Amp Smoking

AlpineThumperJ9
10+ year member

ca
yesterday i was crakin out some DEEP bass, and then all the sudden my amp started to smoke(smelt really weird). the amp im using is the hifonics bx1205 becuase i was on a budget when i got this. sub type r 12 in my custom ported DVC 2 ohms coils i dropped the load to a 1 ohm to give it a RATED 1200w but i seriously doubt it. my gains are 35% ssf is at i dunno 15hz , lowpass and equalizer 25%. Also im using 4awg all the way around with brand new stock alt and battery. what happned its never done it before? thaks

Do the amp and sub still work?

My guess is the sub started to blow, and the amp started burning up, but i dunno.

I've also got a 2006 hifonics, and no smoke yet ~crosses fingers~

Also, smell the port on the box, is it possible it was the voicecoil burning, and not the amp???

Is it a new sub?

ok i was playing it today on the way home and to my suprise it sounded better, lol/wtf i have no idea why. but one thing i know for sure that it wasnt the coils,because i know what buring coils smell like, and this was def the amp i saw the smoke coming out of the cooling vents. oh well it probably did hurt the amp but i guess these things are bulit tough cause mines crankin more than ever.Btw the sub is 3 months old

Hahaha, that's really strange.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya, tho.

Check the impedance of the coils, tho, just to be safe. It's possible you lost some resistance on one of your coils, and that's why you're pushing more power now.

believe it or not some amps actually push more power right before there going out

...some times thats an early indication, kind of like a light, once in a red moon

they'll get super bright right before they blow out... its a thought

...needless to say i hope your amp doesn't but just prepare for the worst

im informing you so you don't get your little feelings hurt if it does die

A bug crawled in hahahahaha, not likely with the massive amount of virbration going on, so much you can hardly breathe! Good call on checking the impedance on the coils ill do that today. I dunno tho, beacuse i am crankin out the bass now, everything seems to be running fine so i dunno. ill keep you guys posted on what happens.oh yea I forgot to mention when the amp was smoking it wasnt even hot... really stange any thoughts about that? thanks for all the help

lwrddenali blew a rockford amp like that... had the ohm load too low and it smoked but surprisingly when we hooked it back up it still worked..... for about 30 mins and the same thing happened it was a lil louder for them 30 mins then if finally smoked for its last time

I've been poundin out the bass, the coils still are in tact impedance wise that is, checked it today. so i dunno im crankin out more bass after my amp smokes??? i dunno what to say other than hifonics are solid amps at least my bx1205 is:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.