Amp Settings?

Scathed

I have a Hifonics BRX1116.1D amp that will be powering an SA-12 wired to 1 ohm. These are the different knobs on the amp:

Level (9v-0.2v)

Phase (0-180)

Bass Eq (0dB-10dB)

Subsonic (15Hz-35Hz)

LPF (35Hz-250Hz)

1. Which one of these is my gain?

2. What are some good levels I should have the amp set at for the other settings?

What do you reccomend I set the subsonic at?
Somewhere between 20 and 30. Kinda depends on preference and tuning.

If you don't have access to a scope, ear will probably be fine. I had always set by ear, and have never blown a sub or amp in my car. Just go easy on stuff and get a feel for your install.

The DMM method assumes too many things, imo

I would go to 1/3 and see how it sounds, move it up after that slowly if you don't hear any distortion and the volume actually increases. if the volume doesn't increase then you're clipping and you need to back off the gain.

is your headunit 4v RMS? or 4v max. makes a difference, and often it will be less than 4v.

I would go to 1/3 and see how it sounds, move it up after that slowly if you don't hear any distortion and the volume actually increases. if the volume doesn't increase then you're clipping and you need to back off the gain.
is your headunit 4v RMS? or 4v max. makes a difference, and often it will be less than 4v.
It's always max.

starting to feel that way, but there's plenty of hu's ive run across that rate it RMS. pioneer deh 80prs is a good example, 5v RMS pre outs, even though it doesnt say whether its max or not. i really wish companies would explicitly state these numbers, there's so much bullshitting done by online sellers it's overwhelming.

You got to realize something your preout rating is at max volume, its always best to use a multimeter to at least get a voltage of what your deck is really putting out, i had an oscope so i was able to set mine right before clipping, on my pioneer 4100 Nex it was 40 of 40 when it would clip fine at 39 and i measured 3.7Volts which rated on pioneer website is 4 volts, so pretty accurate. Without a DMM and an Oscope your generally safer goin at 3/4 max volume and adjusting by ear to change in your sub sound. its pretty distinct if your running a 50hz-60hz constant tone. if i remember right the voltage out of my preouts didnt hit 3 volts till iwas at 34 of 40, so just setting it at 4 volts on the amp your not maximizing your potential.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.