Amp recommendations.

inteva6184

Senior VIP Member
pa
Hey I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for amplifiers. I would like to get an amp that would be powerful enough to power 4 sundown sa-8 v3 at 2 ohms. I was thinking a ct 3000 but I may be getting scared away because of reliability reasons. I would love to stay under 400 which may not be possible so let me know what you guys think.

[quote name='inteva6184']Hey I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for amplifiers. I would like to get an amp that would be powerful enough to power 4 sundown sa-8 v3 at 2 ohms. I was thinking a ct 3000 but I may be getting scared away because of reliability reasons. I would love to stay under 400 which may not be possible so let me know what you guys think.[/QUOTE]

we got a guy here runs nothing but ct amps @Mayhem.. trusted guy here jeff said they really had problems with 1 model and maybe that has been fixed idk.. many other amps to choose from twisted sounds has 2.8k i think but probably more than $400. taramps maybe under $400 pushing it though..

Hey guys really sorry for the confusion I currently have the four ohm version of the sundowns. So I am currently wired at 1 ohm with two subwoofers. I would like to get an amp that is capable of powering four of those subwoofers which would be a 2 ohm load. For now I think I'm just going to run the two subs and see how it handles more power however I would like an amp that is capable of powering for at the two ohm load. The old CT 2500 and ct3000 seems like it would fit the bill Unfortunately they are refurbished and I'm unsure of that particular models reliability which is why I asked what other amps might fit my needs.

I have ran the older (black case) ct 2200 and 2500

The 2500 does over 3500 @ 1 and the 2200 does just under 3k @ 1

I still have both amps, the 2200 has never given me a single issue. Great amp.

The 2500 on the other hand has given me a problem.

That amp was bought from another person, I am to assume I am the second owner but who knows.

The guy didn't ship it very well and was beat up during the transit (or so he said because it was perfect when he had it*doubt that*)

Anyways, it smoked on me once, I assume it was a fet but I couldn't find a blown one anywhere.

Internally it looks great, plays just fine, I used it for about 2 months before upgrading, it was playing 100% fine for a month even after it let out some smoke.

Could still pop at any moment, thats why I'm not using it.

You can see in my sig, that all my amps are CT. That's the only one that ever has given me issues.

The older black case CT amps are known for having bad vibration issues. The boards are not secure to the chasis and I can confirm this 100%. On both of the amps you can clearly see there are no screws holding the board down. Both on the 2200 and the 2500.

My assumption for the bigger amps having the vibration issues is because they make more power and that would create more vibrations.

Getting 2k @ 2ohm at that price point isn't really easy if you want something that will last.

Most amps around that price point are doing 1-1.2k @ 2ohm

You'd need a 4k 1ohm amp to do around 2k-ish @ 2ohm but that would be double your budget.

I have ran the older (black case) ct 2200 and 2500
The 2500 does over 3500 @ 1 and the 2200 does just under 3k @ 1

I still have both amps, the 2200 has never given me a single issue. Great amp.

The 2500 on the other hand has given me a problem.

That amp was bought from another person, I am to assume I am the second owner but who knows.

The guy didn't ship it very well and was beat up during the transit (or so he said because it was perfect when he had it*doubt that*)

Anyways, it smoked on me once, I assume it was a fet but I couldn't find a blown one anywhere.

Internally it looks great, plays just fine, I used it for about 2 months before upgrading, it was playing 100% fine for a month even after it let out some smoke.

Could still pop at any moment, thats why I'm not using it.

You can see in my sig, that all my amps are CT. That's the only one that ever has given me issues.

The older black case CT amps are known for having bad vibration issues. The boards are not secure to the chasis and I can confirm this 100%. On both of the amps you can clearly see there are no screws holding the board down. Both on the 2200 and the 2500.

My assumption for the bigger amps having the vibration issues is because they make more power and that would create more vibrations.

Getting 2k @ 2ohm at that price point isn't really easy if you want something that will last.

Most amps around that price point are doing 1-1.2k @ 2ohm

You'd need a 4k 1ohm amp to do around 2k-ish @ 2ohm but that would be double your budget.
Thanks for the info. The black series is the series I was looking at. CT is selling the 2500 and 3000 refurbished by ampmedic. They seem to fit my power and cost needs but they were known for that vibration issue. Supposedly they did something to fix the issue but I still don't know if its a wise choice. Truth be told so far the taramp seems to be the absolute best fit it just is crazy to me that amp produces that power for that price and is that size.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.