Amp powers on but no sound...

Participant count
  • Participant list

porksoda
10+ year member

Dakota GOD!!!
nm
Well I was driving home yesterday and out of no where my subs just stop playing.

I was not playing my music loud at all either.

The power lights turns on like normal (Green light) but no sound comes from my subs.

I have check all my connections and everything is connected correctly (rca's, power,ground, and speaker wires.

I am either thinking something is wrong internally or something could be wrong with my RCA's?

My set up is a JL Audio 500/1 Amplifier and 2 JL Audio 12w3v2-4.

This is the first problem I have ever had.

Also was is another amplifier that is comprable with a 500/1 for my subs incase I have to get another amp.

Thanks alot guys!

Well I took it to a local shop and they check it out.

They said that the RCA inputs are fried.

They said I will have to get a new amplifier.

So what should I get get now that is compatible to my 500/1?

if your RCA inputs are truly the problem there is no need for a new amp. its a fairly easy fix. my guess is they don't know whats wrong with it and want to sell you a new amp.
Well he hooked up a multimeter to the RCA inputs on the amp and said there is no signal.

My RCA wires are getting signal he said though.

How could this be fixed?

well before you go out and buy another amplifier if your RCA inputs fried then you might want to track down why that happend first before you smoke another amp.

Also if this is comming from a shop they might be blowing smoke in your face to get you to buy a new amp even though your amp is fine. I would have the amp checked out by a professional Audio/Video repair center aswell.

You can test it out yourself if you have an Ipod or portable CD player or some sort of audio device that you can use the Earphone to RCA and plug it directly into the amp and see if it works.

well before you go out and buy another amplifier if your RCA inputs fried then you might want to track down why that happend first before you smoke another amp.
Also if this is comming from a shop they might be blowing smoke in your face to get you to buy a new amp even though your amp is fine. I would have the amp checked out by a professional Audio/Video repair center aswell.

You can test it out yourself if you have an Ipod or portable CD player or some sort of audio device that you can use the Earphone to RCA and plug it directly into the amp and see if it works.
do this. because a rca input doesn't have signal coming out of it to begin with so of course its dead. its a IN put. meaning it is where you would send signal in at. Testing it with a voltmeter wont do ish. Unless they took it apart and set the meter on ohms and followed the traces on the board where the rca jacks lead to.
My guess is they wanted to make a sale and prolly talk you outta your "broken" jl which will pull in more cash used than that RE will new.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.