amp on subs not firing

Participant count
  • Participant list

bartles

For starters my vehicle is a 2004 accord.

not my first sound system. installed many (non professionally)

over the weekend I swapped my stock head unit for a metra adaptor for my car and a kenwood ddx393.

was using a unit which split my rear speaker signal into rcs and remote to power subs.

I have 2 jl 3v3 10" ( I believe they are called) powered by I believe 1000 watt jbl.

been great subs.

the install went over fine. deck functions as is supposed to. I installed 3 sets of rcs because I plan to add a 4 channel in shortly. as well I upgraded my battery.

now no matter what I seem to try I cannot get my previously perfectly functioning subs to do anything. the amp lights up and its not a warning light. everything appears to be working. so im pretty sure the power aspect is covered.

as I said I ran 3 set of rcs. I tried all 3 looking for a sign of life and I got nothing.

I read that some decks have an option to turn on and off your subs in the setting. I believe ive found this however I am unsure as my subs do nothing at all.

think im gonna grab my friends sub and amp and see if that will turn on tomorrow.

going to have to get some batteries for my voltmeter as well if I don't get anywhere and check resistance in the subs etc.

but does anyone have a solid idea of what I may be dealing with?

im hoping not blown subs or amp component. if I don't have to tear the entire set up down that would be fantastic.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

I had a Brutus 2400w amp blow on me with no warning signs, no smell, no excessive heat, no protect light. The amp still lit up and it looked as if everything worked but there was no bass. I took it to my local car audio shop and they ran a tone generator on the amp to confirm that it was dead. Try taking it to a shop near you to test it.

How about the remote wire? That's the blue/white that comes from the HU harness and attach a piece of lets say another blue wire and then to the amp.

Another thing is the HU has a sub turn/off feature. Try checking that prob under menu on the HU or something of the like.

Support | DDX393 | eXcelon | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

There's your online manual...might have to search it to see exactly how to turn on the subwoofer option.

Make sure the RCA's are installed in proper pre outs on the HU...rear, sub and front.

I had a Brutus 2400w amp blow on me with no warning signs, no smell, no excessive heat, no protect light. The amp still lit up and it looked as if everything worked but there was no bass. I took it to my local car audio shop and they ran a tone generator on the amp to confirm that it was dead. Try taking it to a shop near you to test it.
That's a diff situation. What was your electrical like?

And what happened to the fuse in between the amp and battery? If you had one at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not the remote wire. I do have a pretty good understanding of the systems involved. The amp would not light up if there was no remote wire.

I do have a local sound shop i go to however they r not open for another 3 days. So id prefer to have them back before that if plausible.

I do have a friend who manages the electronic section of the company i work for. If the amp blew something i can likely get it fixed.

Maybe when i out new battery it took a little surge? However inline fuse and the 3 25 amp fuses on amp r all fine.

Ive looked extensively thru the HUs options. I cannot seem to get anything going

That's a diff situation. What was your electrical like?
And what happened to the fuse in between the amp and battery? If you had one at all.
99 Blazer, stock electrical, big 3 upgrade. The fuse there was fine. I properly set gains and all. It was just a bad amp, I got my RMA within a week. My new one slams, don't even get hot. Then again I'm only asking 1200 out of it @ 2 ohm

OP, try taking an ipod (or phone, anything with an aux jack) and pull it directly into your amps rcas to see if you can make it bump. Keep the volume low when you try it.

Alright so for benefit of anyone else in the future. Id like to post my findings despite lack of assistance.

Today i went to a friends for some plug and play testing.

First went at system with voltmeter to test things. I got 12v at the amp. Amp powered up like before. Wasnt able to read anything across the channels. (I dont know if it should im not that handy with a volt meter and my friends amp didnt register either.) First wired his subs to my amp. Nothing. His subs his amp worked. His amp my sub worked.

So we learned something internally has blown. Not sure what yet. Going to investigate with my electronically inclined friend and hopefully its repairable.

99 Blazer, stock electrical, big 3 upgrade. The fuse there was fine. I properly set gains and all. It was just a bad amp, I got my RMA within a week. My new one slams, don't even get hot. Then again I'm only asking 1200 out of it @ 2 ohm
OP, try taking an ipod (or phone, anything with an aux jack) and pull it directly into your amps rcas to see if you can make it bump. Keep the volume low when you try it.
if you would have listened to him about using a 3.5 to rca off a phone you would have found that out.

without trying different subs and amps.

so there was help here.. you just did not listen.

but glade you know now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.