Amp Mounting

Participant count
  • Participant list

alvogel122

Ok, so I have recently purchased the Sound Qubed s1-1250... Now, the most convenient spot for me to mount it would be on the back of the rear seat(s). With this being said, the amp wouldn't really be on its side, more like 110-120 degrees. So it would be upside down the slightest amount. I have heard mixed things about mounting amps on their sides due to heating issues etc. I have heard, however, all of the negative talk about mounting upside down, so I know that's bad. My real question here is, will mounting the amp at the said angle be a problem for heating?

Place about 3-5 washers under each bolt down hole to get a gap under the amp/raise the amp to get a little air underneath and run it.Ive ran several A/B amps on back of Acura Integra seats with the gaps, even had room to place a scroll fan to blow across them when I wanted them to run cooler.Nice $20-$30 investment.When driving long terms, laid seats down get some real air on them.

These past few years ive been into building PCs for gaming and video editing... now you have me thinking... if i take one of my extra case fans and hook it up to a temperature sensor that's by the amp i could make it turn on at a certain temp... hmmmm

Might have to check those out... How would you wire those into your system then? Off of a dist. block of some sort?
Poss wire on remote to amp and ground to ground.. Easy Peezy.Ive had a few times not to place on very tempermental amps.for mids and highs.Had an older Audio Arts that didnt care for it, and had a little noise. placed on sub remote on an Autotek 7300 BTS, and never heard it

Ok, but back to my original question... lol. You think mounting my amp at that position would be fine if i put some washers under there for airflow? (i might still look at the fans)

Ok, but back to my original question... lol. You think mounting my amp at that position would be fine if i put some washers under there for airflow? (i might still look at the fans)
I think it will be fine with the gap underneath, I like approx 1/2" or better myself. Its a class D amp and should run fairly cool, but pounding for 2hours on up. it prob wouldnt hurt to make a $20 investment. Try without the fan first. The amp gets too hot she should shut down on you/protective mode. That is when you know you need to either relocate that amp or try a fan or do both

yeah just space it some (mines not) but i leave seat down all the time now.. that fan he showed u is great if u need to leave seat up most of the time..

I've got a 1.2k amp mounted on the wall of my sub box. It's not running close to 100% most of the time (I keep the volume down, I tuned it at 0 db test tones, etc) but it never even gets warm to the touch. It's an Alpine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.