Amp losing the right channel

DT Knives

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, I installed a Rockville RXM-F3 4 channel amp in my Infiniti G35 about 1year 3 mos. ago. All was good until recently when the right channel began dropping out. If you crank the volume up it will come back on and only for a while then drop again. I have tried the following

1. switch RCA from left to right. Speakers work fine
2. Checked for loose connections, power, ground and speaker

3 months out of warranty and Rockville was ZERO help. They won't and don't fix. Won't replace but they will sell me a mother board for $80. Very unhappy with this company. 3 mos out of warranty and they offer nothing? I won't buy this junk again. I have a Alpine in my Explorer that's been in there 20 years and still rock solid. Anyone?

Hello, I installed a Rockville RXM-F3 4 channel amp in my Infiniti G35 about 1year 3 mos. ago. All was good until recently when the right channel began dropping out. If you crank the volume up it will come back on and only for a while then drop again. I have tried the following

1. switch RCA from left to right. Speakers work fine
2. Checked for loose connections, power, ground and speaker

3 months out of warranty and Rockville was ZERO help. They won't and don't fix. Won't replace but they will sell me a mother board for $80. Very unhappy with this company. 3 mos out of warranty and they offer nothing? I won't buy this junk again. I have a Alpine in my Explorer that's been in there 20 years and still rock solid. Anyone?
Man... You went CHEAP and you got what you paid for. Buy a RELIABLE BRANDED AMPLIFIER. I have Old School Autoteks that have been working since the late 80s, and STILL Work as hard as they did when I first purchased them. Worth Every Penny. Look for a good reliable amplifier, even used you can find a hell of a deal.

OK, you have done your trouble shooting to no avail, then its the amp failing over time, mate!. See if you can score a test amp from a mate and hook it up. If the issue is gone, then its definitely the amp. other wise, it can also be a faulty RCA as well, but my money is on the amp failing over time. As Authobaun mentioned, you get what you pay for and also why there is still a demand for old school amps, as they were built to last back then. I still have an old PPI PC450 run my speakers and only changed to class D mono for less current draw. if you like new gear, go for a full range digital amp like the JL Audio, Kicker, D class, there are many other brands out there but if you stick to reputable brands, that have been around a few decades, chances are they can outlast your speakers as long as you tune it below distortion.

I would try cycling all the controls, meaning rotate the gain pot, crossover pot, crossover switch, bass boost, input switch etc., EVERY switch, button, and knob, rotate / move it several times with the amp off, then recheck. Can do the gain and crossover freq knobs with the amp on playing low, but might get bad pops and damage speakers if you move switches with the amp on. Channels dropping out can be as simple as a dirty switch or potentiometer, have had a bunch of amps when I repaired them that needed cleaned, so it is a possibility. And of course broken RCA connector, but would have to take it apart to inspect for that.

I know the Rockville amp isn’t all that old so dirty contacts is less likely, but still something I would check and or even clean if you’re out of options (not always easy to do though or even get cleaner into the pots).

And not to give Rockville credit of any kind, but I'm pretty sure most people would be denied warranty from just about any brand if it fails once the warranty is over. Annoying to get refused, but only occasionally do companies hook people up after warranty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...