Amp Issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

Volvowith18psi
10+ year member

So, I was on the way to work this morning, with a medium bump going on, no where near what the system usually bumps at, anyway, my amp just shut off.

The system had been on for a whole 15m, no way it over-heated, was cold to the touch when I pulled over 5min later.

System is Kenwood HU, model unknown, '10 model tho, Kenweed 9105D @ 1ohm and 1x Kicker 12L5

I checked everything I could before comming into work, Main power cable fuse wasnt broken, everything on the back of the HU looked normal, all connections into the amp were solid, ground connection, doesn't move.... Amp->Box->Speaker connections are all solid. Fuses on the amp are all intact....

Any ideas? did my amp blow? Mind you all this is new

Edit to add: volts@ the amp are 7.65+- car at idle.... battery / alt @ 14ish+- as usuall, still no juice, think its a signal wire issue...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I was on the way to work this morning, with a medium bump going on, no where near what the system usually bumps at, anyway, my amp just shut off.
The system had been on for a whole 15m, no way it over-heated, was cold to the touch when I pulled over 5min later.

System is Kenwood HU, model unknown, '10 model tho, Kenweed 9105D @ 1ohm and 1x Kicker 12L5

I checked everything I could before comming into work, Main power cable fuse wasnt broken, everything on the back of the HU looked normal, all connections into the amp were solid, ground connection, doesn't move.... Amp->Box->Speaker connections are all solid. Fuses on the amp are all intact....

Any ideas? did my amp blow? Mind you all this is new

Edit to add: volts@ the amp are 7.65+- car at idle.... battery / alt @ 14ish+- as usuall, still no juice, think its a signal wire issue...
Do you own a multimeter? If not, buy one. You can get one most places for $25, or at harbor freight for like $4. Once you get yours or buy one, test for power at the amp's terminals. Red probe to power input terminal, black to the ground term. If it shows 12v or more, make sure the rem wire terminal also gets 12v (with radio turned on).

I assume the amp's power light if odd, which eliminates any signal problems. The amp is either not getting power, the ground has become disconnected/loose, or the REM signal is not working properly. Oh, or it could have had a speaker come loose. The multimeter will also check this by doing a continuity test at the speaker terminals.

Yea, borrowed one from a guy at work just now.... I did check the amp terminals... got about 7.65+-V. Did not check the RTO wire, only have 3min-ish to look. Yea, the amp light is off, which is why I was thinking it wasn't getting a good signal from the radio to tell it to turn on, but I highly doubt just regular driving would cause....

I think something may be up with the MPC fuse, as I still get 14+V all the way to the fuse holder ( Jammed the + in the small bit of exposed wire before holder), but half at the amp....

Thank you for the reply!

Yea, borrowed one from a guy at work just now.... I did check the amp terminals... got about 7.65+-V. Did not check the RTO wire, only have 3min-ish to look. Yea, the amp light is off, which is why I was thinking it wasn't getting a good signal from the radio to tell it to turn on, but I highly doubt just regular driving would cause....
I think something may be up with the MPC fuse, as I still get 14+V all the way to the fuse holder ( Jammed the + in the small bit of exposed wire before holder), but half at the amp....

Thank you for the reply!
Yep, the amp wont turn on with only 7 volts. The amp is probably fine, the problem sounds like its in your wiring. You have a meter now, and sound like you know which direction to head next. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Quick update! Got another few min, Threw the fuse on the ohm meter on the fuse and sure enuff, its gone. Why I posted and was puzzled is because the "filament" inside the barrel was perfectly intact to the eye.... I guess it just broke loose in one of the end's... Autozone here I come!

Quick update! Got another few min, Threw the fuse on the ohm meter on the fuse and sure enuff, its gone. Why I posted and was puzzled is because the "filament" inside the barrel was perfectly intact to the eye.... I guess it just broke loose in one of the end's... Autozone here I come!
This would also explain it still letting a little current pass through it (7v).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.