AMP Install - Please Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

RainStryke
10+ year member

Kansas
I can't help but think I am doing something completly wrong. My AMP is a Soundstream 1.700. My sub is a Kicker 12" L7 Solo Baric. I took some pictures so anyone could point out if I have something set up wrong. It powers up, but no sound what so ever. Had one before this and the one before did the exact same thing. Made sure I didn't get the same AMP back from RMA by taking a picture of the serial number, this is in fact a different AMP.

Have a busted Kenwood 900w AMP that will make the sub move, but it sounds nasty, like it's scraping on something when it hits. Tested the busted AMP on 2 other JL subs and they sound exactly the same.

Here are the pictures (Wires may seem to be a little open, only cause I had to strech them a bit to get clear pictures under a light):

subamp1.jpg

subamp6.jpg

subamp5.jpg

subamp4.jpg

subamp3.jpg

subamp2.jpg

If all your wiring is good check to see if your head unit has a reset button. I spent almost 2hrs swapping rca cables and testing equipment when all it took for some reason was a simple push of the reset button on the H/U. Just a thought.

Thank you for your responses.

No reset button on the back of my headunit. Checked RCA cables. My buddy got a new HiFonics Brutus 600w AMP. So we tested it with that... pushed my sub but only after I cranked the volume near max. When the sub moved it sounded just like the 900w kenwood AMP we had connected to it.

I recently watched this video to tell if my sub is blown:

I don't have a multimeter so I just did the simple test of compression with each finger on each side and listen to the sub to hear any kind of scratching or something rubbing. I can definitly hear a scratching sound and when I can get an AMP to get it to move it sounds just like it but louder. So it definitly seems like the problem is with my new sub aswell as my two soundstream AMP's I purchased. I can't believe I got two bad amps and one bad sub... I was even careful to only buy from high feedback members... So freakin stupid.

Just an update:

Went ahead and contacted the person I bought the subwoofer from and he seemed a bit skeptical about the problem, but he said to go ahead an send it back. He said it was the worst remanufactured kicker sub he's ever seen. The voice coil was not aligned... He went ahead and gave me 20 dollars and sent me a new one that he tested before sending out.

But the AMP, that's another thing. I got the HiFonics 1000w AMP in place of my Soundstream 700w (This is the 3rd amp, all ready had two bad Soundstream 700w AMP's). On arrival the box had all ready been opened, the hifonics tape inside the box had been broken and the two stickers on the bottom that say "Warranty void if broken or tampered with." both stickers are broken. I went ahead and installed it anyway to hear my new sub, sounds good but if I turn it up really loud my car reaks of melting electronics. I suppose I should take the sub down to a 4OHM load than a 1OHM. Anyway... Thanks to all that responded.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.