amp help

Charter16
10+ year member

Sudbury
here is my problem

i am running a kenwood kac 929 amplifier and 2 - 12" infinity kappa perfect 12.1 subs

when i turn the volume op 3/4 of the way the subs or amp shut down and nothing !

the same happens when i am driving is it that my battery is dying ... would a capacitator help? ... i really dont know what to do?? help me out plz.

thanks

another thing should my amp be on mono or stereo... and would turning the lowpass filter on do anything ?could that be the problem ???

well if ur amp is cutting off, and it even cuts on to begin with, then there is no prob with ut wiring....but if it cuts off half way or 3/4 way up..then it is losing power...yes u need a capacitor...that would add the xtra power that u need... turning the low pass filter on would bring only low sounds into ur sub...u dont want high sounds in ur sub, it woul dmake it sound better, but wont solve the prob..go w/a cap...if tat doesnt work, then i dunno

a cap wont really do much for your system unless your charging system is up to par....what gauge wires are you running to your amp...what it sounds like is that your amp is wanting more power and since the wire you use is too small it cant get enough and its going into protection....basicly w/ the larger gauge wire it should allow more current to go to the amp and i dont believe you'll have the problem then...good luck....give is some more info about your amp and all....

I agree with Goddyd4me. I would like to add one more thing.

What is the Ohm stability of your amp?

The issue might be that you have dropped the Ohm rating down below what your amp can handle. When you turn up the volume it causes the amp to heat up and go into protect. Just another thought.

i am running 8 gauge wire ...

the amp is 2 4 or 8 ohm compatible and i have to subs wired in parallel wich would make them a 2 ohm load

my car is a 97 sunfire so its fairly new i should have any problems with my charging system

... help plz ?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Originally posted by Charter16 here is my problem

i am running a kenwood kac 929 amplifier and 2 - 12" infinity kappa perfect 12.1 subs

when i turn the volume op 3/4 of the way the subs or amp shut down and nothing !

the same happens when i am driving is it that my battery is dying ... would a capacitator help? ... i really dont know what to do?? help me out plz.

thanks

another thing should my amp be on mono or stereo... and would turning the lowpass filter on do anything ?could that be the problem ???
That kac 929 Kenwood amp is a 1000watts isn't it. Put your amp on stereo because that splits the watts to about 480watts to each sub. Mono is just for when you only have 1 sub. So if you have it on mono thats why it's shutting down. If not check your ground wire because that plays a big role. Also check your amp manuel to see how many Hz your amp can take. Maybe you have to adjust your head units equalizer.

Originally posted by Charter16 here is my problem

thanks

That kac 929 Kenwood amp is a 1000watts isn't it. Put your amp on stereo because that splits the watts to about 480watts to each. Mono is just for when you only have 1 sub. So if you have it on mono thats why it's shutting down. If not check your ground wire because that plays a big role. Also check your amp manuel to see how many Hz your amp can take. Maybe you have to adjust your head units equalizer.

baby chris thats not true mono is not just for one sub. Bridging is done when you want to put all your amps power into one channel. This can double the available power into specific impedance like 4ohms.

So:

125 * 2 into 4ohms

250 * 2 into 2ohms

500 * 1 into 4ohms

so if i were to use maybe a 4 gauge wire instead of eight and change all the settings on my amp i should be fine! ?!?!?!

and another thing should my subs be facing the front or back of my car i heard there is little to no rattling if they face the front ?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

before rewiring anything... just try setting up your amp properly. turn on the low-pass filter, switch the amp to mono (you said your subs are wired in parallel) and make sure your gain level is no higher than 3/4 up and if there is a bass boost it should be no higher than 2/3 up. try that and see if it solves your problem. if not your next move might be the 4 guage wire.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif thanks all

i fixed my problem and everything sounds great now

hey charter what did you do to fix it cause my system does the same thing. I thought it was a shitty ground but i don't know. I use 4 gauge wire and im not going any lower due to my lack of cash flow atm

nick358

you are a year late on this topic... it was started in 2002!! but anyway, tell me what the exact problem you are having is and what type of amp and subs you have and all the specs (watts, ohms, voice coils, wiring, etc.)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.