Amp has power, but no sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nick_s110

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the audio world, so don't expect too much detail, sorry. But I have a truck with 2 10inch subs powered off of a kicker CXA 1200.1. Now it worked flawless for the first few months, then it went to the shop for about a month, don't ask why, it's a touchy topic. Anyway, now the subs play nothing. The amp has power and ground (the green light is showing that it has proper power and ground), I tried 2 different head units and a new rca cable, made sure both subs were hooked up, nothing. My next guess is that the amp inputs may be broken? Because it is either that or both subs simultaneously blew out, which is possible, but I feel is highly unlikely. I'm just looking to see if there is anything else I should check before I go buying a new amp, because that is not easy money for me to throw away. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention which head unit you had.  Assume that the battery was disconnected and the radio reset to factory.  Some head units need to have the sub output turned on in the menu.  That's the first thing i'd check.  Also, the sub level will default to zero. 

You didn't mention which head unit you had.  Assume that the battery was disconnected and the radio reset to factory.  Some head units need to have the sub output turned on in the menu.  That's the first thing i'd check.  Also, the sub level will default to zero. 
It is some kind of Kenwood, not sure of the exact model. But I did make sure the sub option was turned on, I have no idea what the level is set at though, I will check that asap. Thank you!

So turns out it blew out both speakers simultaneously... Took it to an audio shop today and they guy literally just tapped the speaker and went "Oh yeah, she's dead." I tested the sub wires with a volt meter and it went up to .8 volts at the most. I'm just gonna assume that something happened at the shop that blew both speakers out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.