amp guts showing....

k12ug
10+ year member

MASTER MASTER
FL
if you take the metal backing of the amp...while the system is running.

saz-1500d btw

wil it create any electrical static or that stuff?

what are all the cons of doing this.

ive got 2 80 mm fans and 4 120 mm fans...im making a amazing cooling system...so...i need to know if this would be alright?

Personally..I wouldnty leave them Open Fully....But go for it..

The fan is ******* in air to blow on the amp....

Who knows what it might **** in...

Personally..I wouldnty leave them Open Fully....But go for it..
The fan is ******* in air to blow on the amp....

Who knows what it might **** in...
good point...

i might use some kind of filter....lol

I would at least use a computer fan grille, the nice chrome ones. If you use filters then plan to clean them often! I would set it up to blow air out of the amp since there is not very many places for it to easily escape if you blow into it, and that would prevent stuff from being blown in as well. May want to drill some holes in the end panels so air can get ****** in and flow over the transistors to make it useful... that is if you are attaching the fan to the bottom panel and re-attaching the panel.

Is that what you are doing? Or are you just blowing air on it with the bottom off?

As for the first question... you can take it off in operation, just don't shock yourself and keep your hands away from the FETs until you touch (and preferably hold onto) the case to be sure your static is discharged.

You may want to rethink the whole fan thing. Inside your computer, does the manufacturer put the fan directly on the chip....or on the heatsink that is on the chip. You'll get more from your fans if you blow them perpendicularly across the fins of your amplifier heatsink, rather than on internal parts. It'd be ok to have one at the end pulling cooler air through the board section, but a bunch on the board will not do near as well as a bunch on the heatsink fins. $0.02.

What if you get a piece of plexi that is the same size as the back piece and use that to cover the amp? It will be covered, but at the same time you will be able to see the board. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but i'm not an expert, so who knows if this is good or not.

I wouldn't do it. The way you describe it, i presume that you are just going to fully expose the under side of the pcb leaving the heat sink intact. If this is what your are going to do, blowing air onto the under side of the pcb will not help cooling at all. You can put plexi on this side. If you are removing the heatsink don't do that. The heatsink is taking the heat away from the internal components. That is what it is designed to do. It will do a better job than any number of fans you could put on it.

I did that with an old Power Acoustik amp a few years ago, but I had a bad experience doing so. I didn't set the fans up right, as I was blowing air directly on to it and it blew a lot of CRAP inside the amps resistors, and it eventually blew out. I have heard pretty good news about people beating the crap outta the Sundown SAZ1500 all day long, and don't see any reason why you would need to add externales fans to it.

on my sundown it looks like the heatsink is actually the top piece... so you would have to turn it over and take off the bottom piece and leave it like that? leaving the heatsink against the carpeted ground just to get more hot?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.