AMP going into protect with loud volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zackster

Alabama
I have 2 pioneer ts w303r champion 12s (250 watt RMS and 1200 watt max @ SVC 4 ohms) in a sealed pick up truck box (I got it for free) and my amp is a Crunch Powerzone pzi 2250 2 channel (1000 watt max and 250 watt rms x 2 @ 4 ohms per channel). After about 20min or so of loud operation, the amp goes in and out of protect mode. I don't think it's overheating because it's not that hot to the touch. All my connections are good as well (including ground). The only thing I can think of is the amp (being a ****** amp) is lying about it's power ratings and is being overpowered by the subs.

The amp can't be "overpowered" by the subs because they don't do anything other than receive from the amp. How do you have the subs wired and are you running the amp stereo ie one sub wired to each channel of the amp or mono ie the amp bridged and the subs running that way???? If you have the positives of both subs connected together and the negatives connected together then run to the single bridged channel at the amp then that could very well be the problem because now you are showing the amp a 2ohm load bridged which in most cases that 2channel amp is not designed to do. If you are indeed running stereo or 8ohm mono then I would look at the power and ground wiring of the amp making sure you have the proper gauge power and ground and also make sure that the connections are solid at the amp, at the grounding point and at the fuseholder and battery. Make sure that you are getting go voltage at the amp compared to what it reads at the battery as well.

The amp can't be "overpowered" by the subs because they don't do anything other than receive from the amp. How do you have the subs wired and are you running the amp stereo ie one sub wired to each channel of the amp or mono ie the amp bridged and the subs running that way???? If you have the positives of both subs connected together and the negatives connected together then run to the single bridged channel at the amp then that could very well be the problem because now you are showing the amp a 2ohm load bridged which in most cases that 2channel amp is not designed to do. If you are indeed running stereo or 8ohm mono then I would look at the power and ground wiring of the amp making sure you have the proper gauge power and ground and also make sure that the connections are solid at the amp, at the grounding point and at the fuseholder and battery. Make sure that you are getting go voltage at the amp compared to what it reads at the battery as well.
I have the subs wired to one channel each. I'm using 6 gauge for both power and ground. 16 gauge I believe for speaker wire. For my ground, however, the spade connector I used was a bit too small and I had to trim some strands off to fit inside the connector.

I have the subs wired to one channel each. I'm using 6 gauge for both power and ground. 16 gauge I believe for speaker wire. For my ground, however, the spade connector I used was a bit too small and I had to trim some strands off to fit inside the connector.
If you have good voltage and connections, then sounds like there is an issue with the amp because it's seeing an easy load.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.