Amp for hdc3 12 copper coil?

Participant count
  • Participant list
aluminum will handle more power, but only for short periods of time, and if you are groundpounding all day on max power you will toast aluminum coils quickly... copper doesnt cool as fast as aluminum but it does cool better over a long period of time... however on many drivers, such as my 18 that has aluminum coils, they have very good cooling capabilities which allows you to play on a lot of power for long periods of time... I cant say anything about the aq though being that I know nothing about them.... @hispls talk to him he knows much more than I do...

aq 2k watts would be ok for it? I looked and its rated at like 1k continuous power 2k peak. Sorry im pretty new to this lol
What that means is they can withstand 1000W sine wave pretty much indefinitely without failure. If you have a 2000W amp and listen to typical "music" like top 40 you can probably power it with 2KW amp without trouble.... if your idea of music is a 40hz sine wave with someone grunting about his pen!s, shiny trinkets, and committing crime (see youtube videos of "flexing system") 2000W will hurt it quickly... Really with a 2K amp on one of those you should have enough warning (smell) to back off when you start straining things. Of course if you're a complete retard you could probably break one with 1000W but it would take some effort.

even if its copper coils
Copper coils have better long term thermal power handling.

what do you mean its better? i though aluminum could handle more power
From what I've experimented with, copper coilsin the same motor also yeild lower Q and Fs, which generally makes a sub that is easier to have good low extension in an acceptable size box. The main benefit of aluminum coil is a substantial saving of moving mass which will result in slight gain in efficiency, and from my experience will do a bit better for burps at very high tuning. I have some new coils lined up for myself to play with in a couple weeks so I'll do some more experimenting, but these generalizations are consistant with what I've been told by credible sources.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.