Which amp to choose?

godzukiduce
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So. Cal
So i decided on getting one Sundown SA-12 as my sub. now my budget for an amp is $150-$200. I sort of narrowed it down to the Soundstream Rub1.1000d or Rub1.1600d.

Now here is where I am a little confused. I would ideally like to send around 800- 1100 watts to the sub so my question is should I wire it at 1ohm to get 1000 watts or at 2ohm sending 800 watts with the Rub1.1000d or at 2ohms at 1100 watts on the Rub1600? Lastly, based on the amps, what should i get the SA-12 in? 2ohm or 4ohm?

Sorry for the noob questions. I have been searching but can't seem to find the answer.

Thank you for the suggestions. Now I have some follow-up questions.

My car has a new battery and the big 3, but with 1600 watts going to the sub, will my lights dim at all? Do i need to use a capacitor or get a new capacitor?

Lastly I have a ported box at 1.8cf tuned to 34hz, will this work with the SA-12 or should i get a bigger box?

Thank you for the suggestions. Now I have some follow-up questions. My car has a new battery and the big 3, but with 1600 watts going to the sub, will my lights dim at all? Do i need to use a capacitor or get a new capacitor?

Lastly I have a ported box at 1.8cf tuned to 34hz, will this work with the SA-12 or should i get a bigger box?
that box will do well for the SA12, and capacitors are crap never use one. What size is the alternator on your car?

I wouldnt go soundstream, heard bs about them. Ide look used, theres a sundown 1K for 200 and a DC 1.2K for 3bills

Thank you for the suggestions. Now I have some follow-up questions. My car has a new battery and the big 3, but with 1600 watts going to the sub, will my lights dim at all? Do i need to use a capacitor or get a new capacitor?

Do not get a capacitor... Big 3 done, proper grounding, wiring to/from the amp you should be decent.. that rubi 1600 might do 1200 or so maybe less. the DTR's from soundstream do rated.. if you want something that does rated... or watch the classified you can find a 1k on there for decent price most the time.

the older models are very good.. most of the newer ones eh.. the DTR series does do rated tho.
I wasn't singing the new RUB's praises, but without testing info to back it up, people shouldn't just say **** like, "I heard.."

I do like the DTR's though, but it's a little over budget for him. Although at $240 or so, that DTR 1700 is a heck of a buy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.