Amp 'cutting out'.

Participant count
  • Participant list

beast98

2001 Ford ZX2. I'm running a Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP head unit with a CD-IB100II IPod adapter, two Alpine V12 amps - A four channel for my front and rear speakers and a bridged two channel for my sub. My front speakers are 6.5 in. 2 way Eclipse Point Source and rears are 5x7 in. 2 way Eclipse Point Source with a boxed Eclipse 10" sub in the trunk. Entire car is dynamatted on inner and outer panels.

Problem: Anytime I go over medium-high volume, the main amp cuts off for 3 - 5 seconds and continues to do so until I turn the volume down. The sub amp continues to function. The obvious answer of a malfunctioning main amp was disproven when I replaced the amp and the same problem occured. I'm baffled as to what else it could be. The power and ground cables are 4/8 ga. with inline fuses and distribution blocks.

Any ideas?

bad speaker or wires touching is another problem that sometimes only presents itself at upper volumes, odd as it sounds.

Yeah, check all of the wire connections at the speakers. Large cone movement can push enough air and vibrate enough to wiggle wires, possible causing a short. This would shut the amp off for a couple seconds to protect itself. How much power is the amp rated to make? Where are the gains set at?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.