Amp cutting out please help!

deadmanrob
10+ year member

O.k. I have a single 10 Mtx bridged on a kenwood kac-7201 amp. Everything was going great for the longest time until one night the bass started cutting out every time it would hit even a little bit. I popped the trunk and watched the amps power light go off when the bass wasn't hitting and this would happen until both fuses are blown on the amp. I have removed the power wire and cleaned up my battery terminals took my ground wire out and reran it to make sure it had the best connection I could find. removed the head deck and made sure all the wires were well connected and wrapped tightly and it did it again. I it just my amp? I am going crazy chasing wires here for it just to be the amp would make me a happy camper. Any input it appreciated.

check the ground make sure its in a good place and the paint taken off the area.if that is good then check the voltage with a dmm at the amp when playing make sure it's got sufficient voltage.

I ran it hooked to the little bar the trunk latch latches to i took it off and put it on the other side because it allowed a little better placement. I didn't think the scraping of the paint would have been the prob just because I had it running for about 3 months before this started happening. I will give it a try though tomorrow and hope that's the issue. Could it that doesn't fix it could it be a problem with the amp?

If it's a bad woofer would that cause the amps fuses to blow?

more likely than not your amp has some type of protection circuitry(which keeps the amp safe), and lets say it is the woofer the amp could be going into protect.

That's whats throwing me through a loop is that this woofer worked for a while before it started doing this. I think you may be right with the ground idea needing to be cleaned up but either way either after work tomorrow or while i have the day off Thursday I will be hooking another amp up to see if it cuts out the same way if so then I'm thinking wiring or sub. If it stops it I'm thinking amp or sub. only time will tell. Either way i got other subs I can test on these.

ok so far today I removed the ground took an angle grinder and completely made the grounds surface metal so no more paint. Cleaned the bolt and put it back together blew 2 more fuses. put the multimeter to it and see that my voltage kept skipping around from 12.4 volts but at one point dropped to 1 volt and pretty much bounced around in between 1 was jsut the lowest it hit at one point. on average it sat around 7 volts. the fuse under the hood was in there but its just a wal mart wire kit. so I dunno I don't see any cuts in the wires or anything. any guesses?

Ok I think i got it taken care of. The sub would kick while the amps power light was on but when it would flicker we started to hear a little bit of a crackle from inside the box as if the speaker was blown or somthing. I had another sub in my back seat just an old 1100 watt Sony Xplod I was taking to storage so I hooked it up and everything seems fine now. Now no flicker and the voltage is staying right about 12 at all times.

well drove all the way home from work and it didn't seem to cut out once. I gotta get a box for this sub or fix the one its in until i get decent subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.