Amp cutting out, is it the speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ace_800
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
So I just installed everything in my 66 GTO. Low end Pioneer 6.5 that I was originally not going to power with an amp. I think they handle 40rms. I've got them hooked up to the Kicker 150.2 and have the gain set at maybe 1/4 or slightly higher. If I go to turn it a little more or just increase the volume the amp light goes yellow for a split sec, then red then off. If I turn the gain or volume down slightly it will come back on. Or if I leave it, it cuts on for a sec then off again. I'm using the same ground and power (8ga fused splitter)as my sub amp and it has no issues. I figure I'm clipping but do I just need to replace the pioneers or do I have another issue?

Can't be wired to low, not a sub just 6.5's wired to 4ohm. No issues with voltage, sub amp is fine, no dimming. I have a volt meter and it cuts out at 14v after a certain volume or gain setting.

So tonight I was able to recheck my wiring and voltage. I have a constant 14+voltage the whole time the amp is on and off. I unplugged each side seperately to see if I was grounding a speaker, same issue with both sides. Tried the sub rca's and same issue. I'm at a loss at what to check next or I just have a bad amp after a certain amount of power it wants to put out. Anyone got a suggestion?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.