amp cuts out.........

Participant count
  • Participant list

jguti92
10+ year member

FLORIDA
ok so i have 2 alpine m 500 hooked up to 2 vr's.. well i tuned my amp using the formula sqrt(rms*ohms). well the system was working great hitting hard until Saturday i was on my way to work and the amps cut out it was really hot outside and even though i have 5 % tint on my windows the amps still heat up even when there not being used. so i though ok well they just got hot went to work came back out side around 6 when it was cooler out side and to see if the amps were working because it was the first time this had happen. so i tried to run the subs and nothing i got kinda worried. got out at 10 at night from amps were cool turn on the car it worked i get down the street and they cut out again and right before i got home to try to plug in another pair of rca's running from an ipod the amps started to work.. i went to work again today it kept cutting in and out as the day before i checked my grounds nice and tight and i had just re done them the week before for monthly maintenance. i was driving home from work and it was not cutting out so i played really heavy bass music to get it to cut out to do the test and it worked all the way home with no problem (so no luck doing the rca's of and ipod test) the amps were a little warm when i got home so i am kinda stumped. one thing i did notice is that when i would go down hill they would cut out and start playing again. when i hit a bump they came back on also.

If you live in a hot area, make sure that amp has plenty of ventilation. Also, watch your gain on the amp. It should be around 1/4 - 2/5 gain + - . If your trunk is hot and your running your equip to the max daily, they will over heat.

What I did was install two fans, one to blow air across the heat sinks. and the other to pull cabin air into the trunk and cool it down.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I would check all your wiring for loose connections if it cuts on and off with a bump.

ok i will turn my gain down its at like 2/5 or close to it i am pretty sure... also i have a hatch back so usually it the car cools down after 5 mins of driving but since my amps are black they retain the heat . i am in the process of building my amp rack with fans that move ALOT of air i might just take the amps out until i am done i don't want to damage anything. is there a possibility other than heat that this is happening?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.