Amp Clipping?

Ramrod
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ozark, Mo
I haven't touched my set up for a months and everything as been running smooth. Till tonight on my way into work. I don't blast it much at all. My American Bass 4480.1D I think is clipping now. I noticed my Bass tonight ****** and sounds like a burst or clip of bass. The Amp isn't hot and nothing seems to be loose, but will get a better look tomorrow.

Their are 2 lights on the Amp. A Blue and Red. It's Blue then when the Bass hits it flashes Red.

It never has done this before and the settings haven't changed at all. It's been playing just fine for almost a year.

What are my next steps to take? Is my Amp bad now?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know your amp is/might be clipping? Is the bass boost off on the amp? How much is your gain turned up?

I would go over wiring 1st...maybe something got loose. Prob not but it doesn't hurt and it's free.

Sounds like a voltage problem... when bass hits voltage drops to low and goes to protect for a second. Get a volt meter right at the amp and see what the voltage is doing when this happens.

Most likely a corroded ground connection or bad battery.

Everything is maybe a 1yr old. The Equip. is listed in my sig..

It's to late to test anything while playing. I went around checked most the connections. Seems good there. Checked the Resting Voltage at both Batteries and Amp. All where 12.49v. I turned my Gain done a little.

On my drive into work I'll see if it's any different. If not I'll go back over every connection and test the voltage when the bass hits.

chances are its bad connections. ive seen some settings change from vibration over time too. maybe the song have a heavier bassline than typical music you listen to? i dont know if you actually have a problem does it sound different or maybe you just overreacted?

I haven't touched my set up for a months and everything as been running smooth. Till tonight on my way into work. I don't blast it much at all. My American Bass 4480.1D I think is clipping now. I noticed my Bass tonight ****** and sounds like a burst or clip of bass. The Amp isn't hot and nothing seems to be loose, but will get a better look tomorrow.
Their are 2 lights on the Amp. A Blue and Red. It's Blue then when the Bass hits it flashes Red.

It never has done this before and the settings haven't changed at all. It's been playing just fine for almost a year.

What are my next steps to take? Is my Amp bad now?
Tried to warn people about these sh*t unreliable amps but no one listens.

My Fuse going into my Amp was a little loose on one end. I tightened it and I think it might be good now. Guessing the Bass was knocking the connection vibrate and loose power.

The Red light isn't coming on now. So that's good. The Blue stays on and steady now.

Not sure if it's 100% yet thou. Need to listen to a few more songs and see. I turned my Gain back up.

Tried to warn people about these sh*t unreliable amps but no one listens.
Mine are VERY RELIABLE,and I havent had any issues for approx 2+years now??Mine are and have been very reliable from day one, NO ISSUES..I Feed them the proper voltage as well.Ive recently pulled everything out of the truck and looking to do another shortly, and will use these again in my next set up/actually 4 of them.Every Company has had issues during a new run of products and later worked out through QC,or had an issue on the line that wasnt caught in time and sent out.Just because you had a bad experience with an amp you received doesnt mean all of them have issues.I think you are pretty helpful on this site,and give decent advice as well, but this is not helping or even trying to give help to the situation when a member is spending time to come here and ask for the help and trying to find a solution to the problem or issue that he or she is asking of.Instead of Bashing an individual for the gear and or products that they have/run,or can afford,we should be giving our advice, experience,and trying to find the culprit that may help these individuals from what we have experienced from hands on/installing.Ramrod came to ask for some help,not to be BASHED for his audio gear.His build log is Bad Azz and I think he did one hell of a job too!!!Very nice work!

Mine are VERY RELIABLE,and I havent had any issues for approx 2+years now??Mine are and have been very reliable from day one, NO ISSUES..I Feed them the proper voltage as well.Ive recently pulled everything out of the truck and looking to do another shortly, and will use these again in my next set up/actually 4 of them.Every Company has had issues during a new run of products and later worked out through QC,or had an issue on the line that wasnt caught in time and sent out.Just because you had a bad experience with an amp you received doesnt mean all of them have issues.I think you are pretty helpful on this site,and give decent advice as well, but this is not helping or even trying to give help to the situation when a member is spending time to come here and ask for the help and trying to find a solution to the problem or issue that he or she is asking of.Instead of Bashing an individual for the gear and or products that they have/run,or can afford,we should be giving our advice, experience,and trying to find the culprit that may help these individuals from what we have experienced from hands on/installing.Ramrod came to ask for some help,not to be BASHED for his audio gear.His build log is Bad Azz and I think he did one hell of a job too!!!Very nice work!
Again, you dont see the uncessary amounts of horror stories people have with this amp. These people arent the typical noobs either. Its way more QC problems than any other brand rivaling the cheapo amps. Engage in social media and open your small little world.

One good egg doesnt save the majority of the rotten ones.

Again, you dont see the uncessary amounts of horror stories people have with this amp. These people arent the typical noobs either. Its way more QC problems than any other brand rivaling the cheapo amps. Engage in social media and open your small little world.
One good egg doesnt save the majority of the rotten ones.
I guess Ive been of the lucky with a total of 6 of these amps,two 150.4s, and three 26801s.As far as Social Media.. I try not to go that route.Too much BS in my opinion.None the less never mind my personals, thats my business anyways, and no onelses. At the least try to help those out on here man.Not bash theyre gear,and try to help to find a solution to the issue.Why even come into a thread and bash an individuals gear right off the batt,rather than trying to help someone in need is all Im saying??Even if a guy is running Pyle amps and has an issue with grounding or?whatever the case may be?We are here to give our expertise and experiences for others too, and try to find a solution to the problem is what I thought this site is all about as well as others?I am glad he got some advise,took it, and checked his wiring out and he seems to be back up and running and thats what counts the most..Helping others man, and finding the culprit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.