AMP BLEW- Why, and what are my options?

We fix these. Probably about $90, little amp, worth fixing though, decent amp. Probably some vibration damage caused the demise of this thing, that's usually the case with any "spring clip" amp. And yes the silicone on the power supply transformer is just holding some wires from moving that do not need to move and be rubbing on stuff. If it had been worked on before (the silicone doesn't exactly look like factory did it, they use smaller globs) then it may have a transformer winding short and mounting it a different way could have aggravated it to the point that it shorted and blew the power supply but about 90% of the time that is NOT what we find, we usually find at least 1 output mosfet (on the other end of the amp from the burn marks in your pics) that will be bad, with at least 1 leg broken from vibration, and that one shorted out mosfet (does not explode, just shorts out) will cause the power supply to explode if the amp doesn't go protect fast enough.

Thank you for your input. Generally after you receive the item, what is the turn-around on them?

The issue is now is that we paid $135 for the amp to my door. So if the repair was in fact $90, + shipping both ways, hes got about 260 into this thing.

What would you do knowing the cost etc....

Turnaround SHOULD BE 1-2 weeks after we receive it, but that will depend if we have the parts in stock etc, but usually for those amps we do. We have been super busy since about March, but finally getting caught up around here.

lol
Can't help but agree. $135 was a steal in the first place, and now you're whining about the cost?
No one is "whining" just figuring out what my best options would be for my buddy and his cash.

I didn't set the price, I paid what the seller was asking.

Would you spend another 120+ to have it fixed for spend 135 for another amp?

See what I'm asking smartass?

No one is "whining" just figuring out what my best options would be for my buddy and his cash.
I didn't set the price, I paid what the seller was asking.

Would you spend another 120+ to have it fixed for spend 135 for another amp?

See what I'm asking smartass?
You obviously don't know how reputable dB-r is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You obviously don't know how reputable dB-r is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Their reputation is not in question...

I'll put it in caps for the forums less educated members....

I HAVE A BLOWN HIFONICS AMP. IT COST ME $135. IS IT WORTH ANOTHER $120 TO FIX THIS BLOWN HIFONICS AMP TO WORKING ORDER, OR PURCHASE SOMETHING ELSE FOR THAT PRICE + WHAT I GET FOR SELLING THE BLOWN HIFONICS AMP?

If it was an old ZED amp, the repair would not be questioned. It's a dime-a-dozen, lower end Hifonics amp.

Does that help?

And I know who DB-R is buddy, I've been around for years. Repeat World finals contender, 2x State record holder, oh and was a member of TEAM KICKER.

It depends, I believe, looking at the guts of that amp, that it's a 1608, which is about a 1200 watt amp, so depends, if you can find another decent 1200 watt amp for the cost of the repair I would do that, but if not then I would get it repaired.

So it's a 1508 I see from last picture of top of amp, didn't know they even made the Titan series anymore, well, at any rate, same board as Brutus BXI1608.

unless you are buying a new amp there is no real reason to buy something else . If you go the used route again you may get burned even worse. Send this amp to db-r and when you get it back it will most likely be better than new.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.