Amp benching & testing

Participant count
  • Participant list

psycho72
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I am in the market for used amps. As you guys know you never can tell what you are getting when you buy used. I need to take the amps to an audio shop or an electronics repair place but what exactly do I need to have tested (I know I can do it myself but I don't want to deal with "oh you broke it" blah blah blah)?

Running full power? For how long? At what ohmage? All supported? Lowest only? How about output signal, checking for clipping? How would this be done? What else?

Ugh. What are your intentions? Are you trying to pre-test a used amp before committing to buying it?

Practically... get your car setup with all wiring ready to rock & roll. Hook the amp up, crank the gain up and have a listen. Does it ~really~ matter that it puts out rated power if it's loud enough and sounds good?

See if anything rattles. No smoke is a good sign. No funky smells.

But unless you're buying used high end stuff for lots of money, I wouldn't bother benching it. Just plug it in and see that it works as you want it to.

Ugh. What are your intentions? Are you trying to pre-test a used amp before committing to buying.....unless you're buying used high end stuff for lots of money, I wouldn't bother benching it. Just plug it in and see that it works as you want it to.
PPI art series A404 and a A600.2 as well as a Viper 2500.1D. I am not so concerned if it puts out rated but I want to test them to make sure it is a nice clean signal coming out of the amp and that all is basically well. My speakers are not even ordered yet so a setup ready to go is not possible. Hell as a matter of fact the car it's going in is'nt even purchased yet. I am still about a month out from that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.