amp and headunit

Participant count
  • Participant list

alphadog

Hi,

Few questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

1. If my headunit outputs 4x25w RMS and i get an amp for my 4x100w RMS speakers will

the headunit RMS need to match the amp RMS, or can the headunit RMS stay at 4x25w?

2. If I have an amp for my speakers and an amp for my subwoofer, how would i connect the two?

3. What RMS amp would I need for 4x100w RMS speakers?

4. If i get a 4x100w RMS amp will this be perfect or is this overdoing

the speakers?

5. OR if the max watt of the speakers and amp is over 200w then

does this mean there is no chance of overdoing the speakers if the amp matches the speaker RMS?

6. If the amp and speaker RMS match then how would you go over the RMS,

would you turn the volume up? What I mean is how would you set the amp to just the RMS value of the speakers to make sure it dont go over the speaker RMS?

Thank you

1. The amp is going to run the speakers not the head unit

2 . use a distribution block from the power wire to split the power wire and send power to both amps

3-6. Get an amp that matches or is close to the rms power of your speakers. For example if you're speakers are 100rms then get an amp around 80 to 120 rms

Thanks for the reply!

Is the more RMS the better the speaker quality, or better the bass?

For example I choose an 80 RMS speaker instead of a 100 RMS speaker.

What would the difference be and would it be a lot?

Your head unit amp has nothing to do with the power of an external amp and just as an FYI, no head unit produces more than ~18 watts per channel.

Also, forget that max or peak power rating even exist. They are completely useless numbers used only for marketing. As for matching power with speakers, you can over power any speaker you have by ~25% safely, so long as you don't over drive the amplifier. And no, there won't be any noticeable difference between an 80 watt speaker and a 100 watt speaker.

Thanks for the reply!
Is the more RMS the better the speaker quality, or better the bass?

For example I choose an 80 RMS speaker instead of a 100 RMS speaker.

What would the difference be and would it be a lot?
No RMS rating does not determine speaker quality It just determines how much power it can handle.

The things you need to look for is the speaker's overall design. not power ratings, thats almost as useless as Max/Peak power ratings on amps.

Whats the speaker cone made out of? How does the basket look? cheap steamped baskets or strong sturdy cast iron/steel/aluminium baskets? Whats the frequency response? if you want bass, you'll need a speaker that can play lower notes. How loud the speaker gets is determined by its efficiency rating which is the sensitivity measured in DBs. Before buying any speaker, you'll need to try it out or talk with people who have properly used and installed that exact model of speakers before and they can let you know if the speakers will actually hit hard or not.

Many of the junk brands will list outrageous specs with big numbers, dont get fooled, most are garbabe, check with us with the model number before buying it.

Oh thanks for the heads up!

Surely though the more power the more sound or would it start to distort?

What brands for door speakers are best?

Are alpine, kenwood good?

I want to achieve hard bass with still being able to nicely have the voice of the track clear.

Even at high volume I don't want any distort or anything.

Oh thanks for the heads up!
Surely though the more power the more sound or would it start to distort?

What brands for door speakers are best?

Are alpine, kenwood good?

I want to achieve hard bass with still being able to nicely have the voice of the track clear.

Even at high volume I don't want any distort or anything.
Running enough power to the speakers will improve midrange response generally.

However an efficient 75 rms speaker designed well can outperform a 125 rms speaker in both sound quality and loudness easily. Already told you, there's way more important things to factor in quality speakers other than RMS dont focus too much on that.

Look into jbl ms62Cs or image dynamics ctx 6.5cs. Alpine type Rs speakers are decent, they do have a stricter limit to how loud they can get though. Kenwood speakers **** for the most part.

AGAIN What you need is a subwoofer. If you want midrange speakers to play bass, you doing it WRONG.

Give us a budget to work with and we'll recommend the good stuff for you.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/579338-how-do-i-get-bass-out-my-door-speakers-2.html

I'd recommend you read this thread thoroughly, its a very important installation factor for aftermarket door speakers. There's Sub-Bass (20-80hz )thats handled by a subwoofer and there's MIDBASS(drum kicks 80-300 hertz) which picked up by the door speakers. If you dont prep them like how keep hope alive did in that build log, then you wont have ANY midbass coming out of your doorspeakers ZERO NADA.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.