Amp almost caught fire. Amp failure??

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Cerwin Vega amp Powering 2 gcons. 0 gauge wire w fuse and grounded to bare metal. Been playing it for about 3 weeks now and it’s been working fine. Today I start driving and have way through the first song I start smelling something strong. As soon as I turn it down smoke fills the car. I pull over and fine the ground terminal on the amp completely melted. The amp was not hot at all.

Now I’m sure everything is wired just fine. Short ground to sanded down bare metal chassis of vehicle and 3 screws holding it in place. Did the amp have something go wrong internally or what? Scared me driving down the road to that lol

Is it possible your power wire came in contact with your ground?
Seeing as how this amp has the WOrST design for terminals I have ever seen in my life, it’s possible. But I checked it and they are as far away as they could possibly get. Didn’t see any strands sticking out or anything

The terminals are so small it would be hard to fit even 4 gauge wire in it. And it’s a 1500 rms amp... wtf. Had to shave a bunch of wire down to get the 0 gauge to fit in. Then the screws that go down on top hardly even hold the wire in place no matter how hard you try. It’s like it just screw down right through the wire. On top of that the power and ground are centimeters apart. It’s terrible design imo. Finally got the wires in as secure as possible and it was working fine for weeks.

It was as secure as I could get the wire wouldn’t come out when I pulled on it. Tried to attach a pic but my phone keeps giving me an error when I try to upload the pic on hereWell the terminal is fried now. Shame I worked hard on this install, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Seeing as how this amp has the WOrST design for terminals I have ever seen in my life, it’s possible. But I checked it and they are as far away as they could possibly get. Didn’t see any strands sticking out or anything
The terminals are so small it would be hard to fit even 4 gauge wire in it. And it’s a 1500 rms amp... wtf. Had to shave a bunch of wire down to get the 0 gauge to fit in. Then the screws that go down on top hardly even hold the wire in place no matter how hard you try. It’s like it just screw down right through the wire. On top of that the power and ground are centimeters apart. It’s terrible design imo. Finally got the wires in as secure as possible and it was working fine for weeks.
Use reducers. Save yourself the headache and fraying/cutting of wires.

Sounds like poor/loose connection caused excessive heat
It was as secure as I could get the wire wouldn’t come out when I pulled on it. Tried to attach a pic but my phone keeps giving me an error when I try to upload the pic on hereWell the terminal is fried now. Shame I worked hard on this install, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Yup....lose connection. Unfortunately, we've had a few members come by asking the same thing with pics and connections were loose someplace, thus creating the meltdown of certain areas, on the amp, fuseholder, etc.

Use imgur to upload pics.....this site ***** for uploading pics.

I like to ground with bolts to the frame, I know I don't have to but it makes me feel better.The 3 screws/ground would always be on my mind.
Nothing better than some solid steel cleaned up and a good couple washers and bolts, with just a hit of gloss paint afterwards to keep from rusting

Bolt/nut combo is the best secure over screws.
Here some pictures. The connections were secure and wouldn’t come out no matter how hard I pulled on them. There was no contact made between the ground and power either. Did the amp **** up? Was fine for weeks and would never get hot or anything. Probably gona reground somewhere else when I get a new amp just to be sure I guess..

https://imgur.com/gallery/FVydr

Cerwin Vega amp Powering 2 gcons. 0 gauge wire w fuse and grounded to bare metal. Been playing it for about 3 weeks now and it’s been working fine. Today I start driving and have way through the first song I start smelling something strong. As soon as I turn it down smoke fills the car. I pull over and fine the ground terminal on the amp completely melted. The amp was not hot at all.
Now I’m sure everything is wired just fine. Short ground to sanded down bare metal chassis of vehicle and 3 screws holding it in place. Did the amp have something go wrong internally or what? Scared me driving down the road to that lol

I screwed up and used self tapping screws once upon a time... BIG mistake on my part... I ALWAYS use bolt/nuts for grounds now... I'm just sayin'

ggrXBBa.jpg

Not to disagree or anything but they were never close enough to touch if you look at the other pics. But ya, should have been electrical tape at least lol.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Yea my ground looked a lot like the middle one lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.