Amazing Craiglist find!

tc3k101
5,000+ posts

Ω
Socal
So I was looking on craigslist as usual. Found a guy selling two 18" Eclipse prototype spl drivers.

Went yesterday turns out 1 was a 15 and the other a 18"

We got to talking he was very apologetic about the drivers not matching. Turns out this guy used to work for Eclipse as a lead for their design and holds numerous patents, He was a big part as why tc sounds oem'd for Eclipse. He got to showing me stuff and we ended up chatting for well over a hour. Long story short I got some amazing gear off of him. I think the experience of meeting someone who has had such a impact on our community more so than the equipment was the best part. His stories, just everything. I will be keeping in contact with this guy because it was amazing. Anyways the gear.

I went with intentions to buy two 18s ended up coming home with 2 18s and 3 15s as well as other things All but 1 18" have never seen power or were mounted.

The first 15" uses a 4hp motor QCA top assembly honeycomb cone this was a prototype that never made it to production because Eclipse stopped using Tc Sounds.

Now this one is unique. It was a demo item at CES this was a prototype that they ended up using the TI frame on later down the line. So this driver was built before the TI frame, using a AURA 1808 frame, the motor is a lot different it has a top plate like the TRF. Does not use QCA and has a really big copper coil. I will be holding onto this for ever.

And the whole lot together

Then this is the most unique item I got. It was designed and built by Thilo, you can hook it up to your amplifier and actually change the Q of a driver so it will behave different in it's box. There was only two built from what I was told and Thilo has the other. This is just pure nostalgia I really don't know how it does that but I will be playing with it and holding onto it for a long time.

Then this is the most unique item I got. It was designed and built by Thilo, you can hook it up to your amplifier and actually change the Q of a driver so it will behave different in it's box. There was only two built from what I was told and Thilo has the other. This is just pure nostalgia I really don't know how it does that but I will be playing with it and holding onto it for a long time.

That's awesome!

I wonder why it never went into production

Any amps? Was he pretty cheap? I love eclipse I am jealous. Post more pics man
He had multiple eclipse amps, some which never saw production. He had the first eclipse wedge amps made, as well as high end eclipse speakers made by wave guide or something along the lines. As well as Vifa made eclipse components. He had one particular amp that his friend developed that did 3krms forget which impedance and it wasn't even that big. Not like most non Brazilian 3k amps. He had drivers that never went into production. Just one of the most if not the most amazing car audio experiences I've ever had. I will be getting something off of him within the next couple weeks that will be very beneficial towards me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.