Am I losing sound quality?

budget76
10+ year member

fawkin' newb
I'm thinking no, but curious enough to ask the experts. Right now i'm powering my F+R speakers using a Sony Xplod XM-604EQX 4ch(IMO a nice one, has a build in EQ and much nicer than any other i've seen. must be from before they were wal-mart amps) It has high level inputs, and i'm running my speaker wires from my HU to them to send the signal, not RCA's. Am I losing anything by doing this?

Dumb reason I did this was because I only have F+R outputs, and wanted to use the sub control on the HU, but now I dont' use it anyway. It'd take about 3 hours to run RCA's instead, so it's not going to happen any time soon. Too **** cold.

thanks

apparently not. I was asking if a better signal would be sent using RCA's than the high level inputs. Wanted to confirm that it should be the same, like I thought. Basically, is one better than the other?

should have edited that, got a set of Focals going in, but i'm thinking my ears can't hear the difference if there is one, especially in my truck which is less than ideally setup.

Dumb question I know. Saw the RCA thread and got me wondering.

In general using RCA outputs from the hu to the amp will yield higher quality than using speaker level inputs on the amp. I just don't really understand why you are using the speaker levels if you have rca outs on the hu. The speaker level inputs are designed for those people that want to use the stock hu or stock amp and get the amplified signal and run that to there aftermarket amp. So basically the signal will be amplified then de-amplified in the amp and them re-amplified...

az, thanks, that's what I was looking for. I guess i'll switch over to RCA's once I have the time.

I did this because I have two outputs on the rear, and my HU has the ability to change the rear to a sub output and has a sub level setting on the HU. Planned on using that, then with my new box decided that was dumb and turned it off. This setting turns the front RCA's off, and I wanted the fader available, so splitting the fronts was a no go.

should have edited that, got a set of Focals going in, but i'm thinking my ears can't hear the difference if there is one, especially in my truck which is less than ideally setup.
Dumb question I know. Saw the RCA thread and got me wondering.
just sit/stand there and wait and listen for the difference of the sound just don't use ur mind and assume it's the same;).

still //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

There are some who actually prefer and support high level inputs. Andy Wehmeyer from Harmon being one of the more prominent I know of.

Why?

Higher voltage signal, lower impedance source and they're fully isolated from ground. From a noise standpoint, it simply can't get any better than that (other than digital //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ).

If the signal is free of audible distortion and has relatively flat frequency response....there's nothing wrong with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.