Alternator?

SPLluminator
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
GR, Michigan
Hey guys,

I just checked my voltage and it is at 12 volts with my car on. The alternator is ****. Where can i find a 1999 Lumina alternator that has higher output? I was just about to wall my car and had this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was looking a DBelectric but idk if i shoudl go that route or make a custom bracket. Thanks for you help,

Mike Wentworth

stay away from that shithole the 200 amper they sold me was just a rewound boosted one that hit barely 150 with shitty voltage. was said to be 110-105 at idle and was a little under 70. I went to the local shop got a rewind from them for 175 that has a decent output at idle about 75-85 and hits about 170 at 2k. It was hard due to the retarded case mine was in. If i ever get around to making a bracket to fit a larger case (guy gave me a core to make fit) he will wind a 200 amp for about 200. mechman has the custom case and custom brackets and that looks nice but the pulleys are so small it seems like its hard to keep them from slipping, that's a good sign too if you take into account that more power needs more torque. If I was to ever get more power again I would buy another leece Neville look them up they are the best alternators I have ever seen or used. huge pulley no slipping but just a little hard to fit because they are big.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/8222-3-200amp?&caSKU=8222-3-200amp&caTitle=LUMINA%20MONTE%20CARLO%20HIGH%20AMP%20OUTPUT%20ALTERNATOR%2098-99%20%208222-3
Maybe this? But i really want something legit. I guess i can just get the stock one again and get a warranty and blow 3 or 4 of them before i get rid of the car
Got a 97 lumee and brought a 200amp alternator from them, had it since feburary and runs fine. I never drop below 12.3 volts on full tilt. Also wasn't the 99 model one of the recalls they had recently? something about the exhaust not working properly.

Idk, my exhaust is horrible tho. How do they do the recal? Will they fix it or something, or will they jew me into spending more money?
Not sure exactly, I know the news said the engine would heat up fast. I'd google it to make sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.