Alternator whine

Participant count
  • Participant list

Illestd
10+ year member

Utah
I bought a brand new 1200 watt rage boss amp and I hooked everything up but I have a whinning noise that is in tune with my rpms it seems like. It is running 2 6 1/2 speakers. I have the battery and remote wire running down the middle of my car. I am also running the RCA's down the middle as well. I moved the RCA's to see if that would help but it didn't. I have everything done right to my knowledge. The HU was grounded but not to the frame. I reground it to the amps ground terminal on the amplifier and that didn't help either. When I did that I ran the ground up the middle too.

Any suggestions?

If its the ground wire should I reground the amps wire somewhere else? The head unit? Both? Does the size of gauge the ground wire matter? I had to extend the ground wire from the HU to the amps ground terminal

I'll reground the amp and see if that helps and I'll so the same for the HU does it matter if my power, remote, ground and RCA's run down the same path?

I had my rca's running with my power and i got a whine, i got way better when i moved rca's to the other side of the car. I was told it could be from rca's running near any power wires. Ac power wire, heater power wire etc.

What kind of HU? i've heard alot about pioneer HU's and some fuse blowing that causes it. Make sure that you sand down whatever you're grounding your amps to to make sure its grounded to bare metal and not through paint. Could also try grounding your rca outputs to the frame of the HU. Its helped some people. There are numerous threads on here about the same problem you're having. I'd reccommend browsing around on them a little bit. If not find a flowchart on Google to help fix it. Also like mylows side, It could just be the cheap amp.

My HU is a pioneer Premier I'm going to try and wrap wire around my RCA's and see if that helps any.. I regrounded my amp with a deferent shorter wire.. I'll repost results after I wire my RCA's

Also I ran a ground wire from my HU to the amps ground terminal and it didn't do anything.. I also took that wire off so the HU isn't grounded right now just has a long wire and it runs fine not grounded.. Does that mean anything?

have you tried running the ground wire to the negative on the battery? It still works because your antenna also works as a ground, which could possibly be the problem too. Try unplugging the antenna and regrounding it with the wire. also considering it is a pioneer it could be a blown pico fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.