Alternator Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Winter_C
10+ year member

Teh Pinto Driver
Alright, I am running the 91' CRX with 3 P3's at 2.66 ohms but two Kicker KX1200s strapped a 1.33 ohms each...I am encountering voltage drops where after playing a song or 2 I get little cutouts...So now I am wondering, Should I put a H.O alternator on it? Or I do remember at one time, you guys had a site posted with someone who was selling something that you could attach to the alternator...Does anyone know what that was? And would that be enough for me?

Also, I have not yet done the Big 3, which I know is a must, and will be done really soon...and I am running one optima redtop under the hood, should i put my reg battery back in and put optima in back? Or what should I do?

Idk if I can afford a 300$ alt right now lol...wasn't there some site that was posted on here about a new plug for alternators or something? That up'ped the voltage they charged or something like that? I don't fully remember, but I know I tried to get one before and never did it.

It's called an external regulator and that will not work for you. That's for people running on 16v batteries. You will fry your computer like that.

Do the big 3, of that doesnt help then get a big battery on the back. If you're still getting bad voltage drops, it's time for a new HO alt.

It's called an external regulator and that will not work for you. That's for people running on 16v batteries. You will fry your computer like that.
Do the big 3, of that doesnt help then get a big battery on the back. If you're still getting bad voltage drops, it's time for a new HO alt.
He could use a External voltage Reg. they aren't just for 16v systems. They can be adjusted from 12v-18v. He just doesn't want to set it much above 15v for a 12v system. I wouldn't recommend it though I would say do big 3first, and if that doesn't help then a ho alt, and if you still need more buy some batts

i have an xs power vcm and charge at 15v. but its not going to help voltage drop, it will just change where you voltage drops from. it doesnt magically make your alt a high output one

do the big 3 and see how that helps. then get either a new alt or another battery and see how that helps. just keep adding until youve got it fixed

mechman is where i got mine from but unless you fix why your voltage is dropping, its not goin to do anything except raise the voltage you drop from. might help a little now, but not in the long run

no, not the external regulators...there was something else, I can't remember the name of the company or the site...
You could be thinking of national quick start, out of michigan. They make a external big amperage diode rectifier that helps the alternator produce power, I think they call them quickifiers, 210 amp and 420amp. The drawback to this is it can only help the alternator produce power, but it can't increase the amperage or voltage. I was told by the manuf that it is wise to upgrade to a ho alt first if your pushing some rather big power like 3-4000 watts then to that if needed. But even at that I was also told that it is possible to see voltage fluctuation even with a large amp alternator.

I have a couple things to try yet but as of now I still see major voltage drops even with 2 875amp stock batteries wired together and a HO dual rectifier 250amp alternator and everything is wired up with 1/0 weld cable. I was told by manuf to wire my ground from the batteries right to the back of the alternator. I have yet to do this so I'm hoping it fixes it or the alt has to be sent back to see what is going on.

Bad part is I'm only pushing 1800watts rms. I'm guessing that around 1000wrms I'm fine.

So like others have mentioned, it is about a must to upgrade to a alternator that is capable of supporting the amperage draw that 3000watts is gonna pull, or you will in time burn up the alternator from excessive heat.

Russ

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.