Alternator Question

AppleBonker
10+ year member

I've found a potential alternator for an '08 Altima. Just wondering if people think it should be enough. It's a 260 amp alt and I'm planning on running an Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-2.150 and Sundown SAZ-3000D. Will that be enough with an extra battery in the trunk? I don't know that I'll be able to find anything with a higher output than that. Based on my previous install (both the Alpine amps and a different substage amp), I didn't have the speaker amps (PDX-4.150 and PDX-2.150) turned up all the way. There was a high pass on the interior speakers so the sub handled all the bass. If I had the interior amps all the way up (not to clipping, but close) the interior speakers were way too loud and they completely overpowered the substage. I just want to know if this should avoid dimming lights. Thanks for any help.

thats plenty. get more than 1 battery for the back tho. try 2 deka intimidators, should run $400 for both.

Forgot to mention that I'll be doing the big 3 as well (seems obvious). Also, would this be essential to fuse the alt to battery wire? If so I've got the fuse holder, but only a 250 amp fuse, so I guess I'll need to track down a 300 amp fuse. Correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I would think an alternator rated at 260 amp max would never go above 300 amps so I shouldn't blow this fuse.

For the batteries I was planning on upgrading the stock battery to a Kinetik HC1400 and putting a Kinetik HC2400 in the trunk. Will this not be enough?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I have one more question. I've never run an extra battery in the trunk, so would it still be necessary to fuse the cable from the positive of one battery to the other. IE, do I need a fuse under the hood on the cable that is going to run from the main battery to my spare battery in the trunk? Or do I only need to fuse from the extra battery to the amps?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I have one more question. I've never run an extra battery in the trunk, so would it still be necessary to fuse the cable from the positive of one battery to the other. IE, do I need a fuse under the hood on the cable that is going to run from the main battery to my spare battery in the trunk? Or do I only need to fuse from the extra battery to the amps?
You should fuse the cable going from front battery to back... I don't know if it's possible to blow it or not, but if you ever exceed that wires capacity a fire in your car would definitely not be cool. I'm sure you'd prefer to just spend the 50 dollars or less and fuse that wire than hope that you never have a short, which you probably won't but if you do it will **** without a fuse

yes, you do need to fuse between batts. Also i do have that group discount if you are interested.. it is for 10% off any Deka Intimidator battery(s) from remybattery.com let me know if you are interested and i will give you the discount code for your order.

You should fuse the cable going from front battery to back... I don't know if it's possible to blow it or not, but if you ever exceed that wires capacity a fire in your car would definitely not be cool. I'm sure you'd prefer to just spend the 50 dollars or less and fuse that wire than hope that you never have a short, which you probably won't but if you do it will **** without a fuse
So should I run 300 amp fuses all around? I obviously don't want to be blowing fuses left and right. I would clearly need a 300 amp from the alt to the battery. Should I also use a 300 amp then from batt to batt? And would it still be recommended to fuse each cable from the extra battery to the amps? If so, 300 amp to the Sundown and maybe 200-250 to the Alpines?

Fuse for Wire size

1/0 gauge deserves 300 amp,

I don't know about 2 gauge if you're using that

4 gauge I believe is 150 amps... hopefully you're using 1/0 gauge tho

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.