alternator issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

freddrick
10+ year member

phoenix
I recently had a wrangler alternator put in and lights still dim on heavy bass notes. the alternator is said to be 175 amps so I would think that that would be enough concidering I had the stock alternator which is 80 amps running the same set up, a diamond 600.2 (600x1) and a 400.4 (50x4) what gives I have a 1200.1 on the way will this present a problem the new amp draws about 125 amps and I figure the 4 channel draws 35 amps anybody have an answer?

How long has this been a problem, like did you just install everything and go outside sit in the drive way and bump? Because im thinking most High output alternators, u have to reach a certain RPM before it puts out the max. If you are driving around and you notice the dimming, then i dont know. Ummm, maybe your battery is a bit weak. Try charging that or may even replace it. Also try to upgrade the Big 3. I hear that can help alot with dimming, but i cant say as hands on witness because i havent gotten my alternator back yet.

it seems that the lights dim at any rpm I was thinking of changing the battery soon. what is the big 3 and what kind of price am I looking at? system is over budget and this is before the new amp comes in.

The Big 3 upgrade is basically upgrading some of your main wires up under the hood. It gives you a better current flow and help stablize your voltage drops. Plus its less strain on your vehicle electrical system. Its 3 simple steps. (Well some say its simple) It doesnt cost much at all, especially if you have some extra materials laying around the house from previous installs. Anywayz, with 4 gauge or larger wire you would need to replace the wire going from your 1) Battery negative to chassis 2) Alternator to battery positive 3) Chassis to engine. I hear you would need to fuse the wire from your alternator to battery positive. Ummm, i dont know if theres a detailed way how to do it here, but check out Sounddomain.com site. Up under their electrical titles, its a sticky and it goes into details.

So basically far as material.. a few feet of 4 gauge wire or larger...the metal crimp things that goes on the end of the wire...and if im right about fusing that, a fuse and fuse block... but check out that site, it can be more helpful than me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.