Alternator install halp?

WhatsAminiTruck

Senior VIP Member
I've got big 4 completed... used 2awg. And I just hooked up my new Mechman alternator, and it's not charging crap. I tried switching the volt reg wires around and got no change. I did a charging system test on it and I'm getting steady 13-14v no load and 12v that steadily drops with load. No change when I switched wires and re-tested.

All of the stock OEM wires are still hooked up EXCEPT the original alternator power to batt positive, and the alternator ground wire. I didn't hook them up because they didn't fit the new alternators bolts. My buddies bringing a drill over tonight so I can bore out the connectors and see how that works... but other than that... could there be another problem?

It's the 240amp S-series from mechman.

Does anyone have experience with Mechman Alts?

Just got all the original OEM wires hooked back up.... still not charging crap. :/

also, my truck started "chirping" extremely bad when I put the new alternator on. I don't know if that has any relevence.

Yea, I'm taking it off tonight and getting it tested at a parts store. I called mechman and after they asked if I had attached the alt pos to batt pos... (seriously?) they wanted me to send it in. Not very much trouble shooting >___

Yea, I'm taking it off tonight and getting it tested at a parts store. I called mechman and after they asked if I had attached the alt pos to batt pos... (seriously?) they wanted me to send it in. Not very much trouble shooting >___
Yea they did that same thing to a friend of mine 2 years ago Was a big mess but finally got it working

Alright, I was driving home tonight and all of a sudden the chirping stopped, and my voltage meter sky rocketed instantly to 15.

I turned on the highs and heater and the voltage didn't budge. I was like, SWEET. But... then the chirping started again and the voltage plummeted lol.

I guess the belt is slipping somehow... just ordered a new belt tensioner... should be here tomorrow.

Alright, I was driving home tonight and all of a sudden the chirping stopped, and my voltage meter sky rocketed instantly to 15.
I turned on the highs and heater and the voltage didn't budge. I was like, SWEET. But... then the chirping started again and the voltage plummeted lol.

I guess the belt is slipping somehow... just ordered a new belt tensioner... should be here tomorrow.
Wish I would have thought of that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif It is more then likely the belt, not the tensioner. Goodyear Gatorback is the best out there IMO. Also see if you can go smaller then stock, should be able to get them in 1/2" increments...

I can pull my tensioner up by hand, LOL. If replacing that doesn't solve it completely I'll be getting a new belt
You might want to consider a new belt anyway since you'll already be in there. Belts stretch over time and it might just be time for a new one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.